Black ich on tang?

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed these black spots on our sailfin tang a few days ago & went with the assumption it is black ich. The spots like this are on both sides of this fish. It is eating normally ie nori, mysis shrimp, shrimp flakes. Started treating with prazipro two days ago. Do you think this is black ich? Saw in another post that regular ich could present like black ich visually? Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_7013.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, should note that white spots on the glass in the photo are *we think* baby snails or crustaceans.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Noticed these black spots on our sailfin tang a few days ago & went with the assumption it is black ich. The spots like this are on both sides of this fish. It is eating normally ie nori, mysis shrimp, shrimp flakes. Started treating with prazipro two days ago. Do you think this is black ich? Saw in another post that regular ich could present like black ich visually? Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_7013.jpeg
White spots look like spirobid worms which feed on algae. Referred to as ich, these are turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro for two 8 day intervals with a water change on day 9.
Other option is formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby Rally Pro starting with a bath for 45 minutes followed by treatment
Do note that Prazi will lower both oxygen and appetite, so an airstone is recommended for added aeration and monitor water quality during treatment with a reliable test kit

This fish clearly shows black ich. This gives the appearance of ich as melanin pigmentation causes the appearance of black dots . Typically, again, worm treatments such as PraziPro will work as will formalin based treatment for more challenging strains and even Ruby Rally Pro. If none available immediately, you can give fish a 5 minutes freshwater dip for temporary relief same temperature as display tank.
It takes one worm to start an infestation even if fish were quarantined

OP
OP
T

Tangdome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White spots look like spirobid worms which feed on algae. Referred to as ich, these are turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro for two 8 day intervals with a water change on day 9.
Other option is formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby Rally Pro starting with a bath for 45 minutes followed by treatment
Do note that Prazi will lower both oxygen and appetite, so an airstone is recommended for added aeration and monitor water quality during treatment with a reliable test kit

This fish clearly shows black ich. This gives the appearance of ich as melanin pigmentation causes the appearance of black dots . Typically, again, worm treatments such as PraziPro will work as will formalin based treatment for more challenging strains and even Ruby Rally Pro. If none available immediately, you can give fish a 5 minutes freshwater dip for temporary relief same temperature as display tank.
It takes one worm to start an infestation even if fish were quarantined
Thank you so much for responding. We will continue with the prazi as directed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back