Black Leopard Wrasse!

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by MikeyTN, Dec 13, 2018.

1. MikeyTN

MikeyTN Active Member MTRCMember

Our Black Leopard Wrasse. He comes out early in the morning when the day light start outside. The tank light doesn't come on til 1pm and he goes to bed around 2pm and won't see him til the next morning. It's making it hard to feed him since theres like an hour where you can see him out to feed. He feeds on pods so I need to buy more to stock since there's a mandarin and other fishes that feeds on those as well. But he will eat prepared food. Had him for a couple of weeks now hoping he would get acclaimated to the light schedule but it's been the same daily. 3 days out of the week he would have to depend on pods due to me working 12hr shift on those days and by the time I get home to feed he's been to bed since 2pm. Anyone else have this issue?

20181213_135159.jpg

Tags:

2. MikeyTN

He's been staying out longer by the day, each day a little longer. Now he stays out til 9pm.

3. MikeyTN

Got another Black leopard wrasse. This one is a lot bigger then my first. Took me days to find what he likes to eat and finally got him to eat starting yesterday.

20190123_152525.jpg

20190123_152515.jpg

Hemmdog, Idoc and 408Dartfish like this.
  4. Timothy McMeans

Timothy McMeans Member MTRCMember

Beautiful fish

MikeyTN likes this.
  5. Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang Active Member R2R Supporter

I’ve had mine in my tank for about 2 weeks now and I haven’t seen him yet so I hope he’s still alive.

MikeyTN likes this.
  6. FoxyFace

FoxyFace Active Member

My wrasses including a black leopard like the NYOS goldpods and chromys. I have good luck getting anything to eat those liquid foods.

MikeyTN likes this.
  7. MikeyTN

You have to constantly check on them all day long cause the first one would only come out before light is on then go to bed after the light is on for an hour. Took weeks before everything settle down and he's now used to the light schedule and doesn't go to bed until lights go off and moon light comes on. This second one was out all day the
    first two days then only comes out for an hour after light is on for 3 hrs. Then back to bed after an hour being out. You have that very short period to get them to eat or they'll perish. It took me almost a week to get him to eat after trying different food. They do love mysis shrimp.

8. MikeyTN

Yes they are. Very finicky though. Have to baby them at the beginning until they get used to their surroundings.

9. MikeyTN

I'm gonna have to remember those foods.

10. FoxyFace

FoxyFace Active Member

I think my pipefish eat the NYOS goldpods too. I try to catch them in the act but it's difficult. They're secretive eaters.

11. MikeyTN

Once these finicky eaters gets adjusted they tend to eat anything you feed. That had always been my experience. It surprises me that my flame cardinals eating broccoli. Actually ate it and not spit it back out.

12. FoxyFace

FoxyFace Active Member

That’s funny. I have a sleeper head goby that eats nori sheets. Kinda funny seeing a sand softer trying to sift nori down.

13. MikeyTN

Yes my gobies and wrasses eats nori as well.

14. Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang Active Member R2R Supporter

It’s just weird because he swam around just fine in QT and mysis and LRS food like crazy and now he’s like now where to be seen. Maybe he does come out at night or early morning and I don’t catch him. Plenty of food for him to eat in the tank as for pods go so hopefully he’s alive and well

MikeyTN likes this.
  15. Idoc

Idoc Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Did you find it locally at one of our LFSs in the area? I've been thinking about getting a couple soon.

16. MikeyTN

When you move them into a new territory they tend to go through that cycle again and back to hiding. It took my first one a month to adjust.

17. MikeyTN

Yes I got both from AC. First one I got it was in their sea horse tank. I had them hold it for me and everyone wanted to buy it. But I already paid for him. The second one was held due to another type of leopard wrasse I had them hold for me died in 2 days so I chose this guy. These are the only two they've ever had and I bought both.

Idoc likes this.
  18. southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer Active Member MTRCMember

pretty jealous! always wanted a leopard wrasse!

MikeyTN likes this.
  19. MikeyTN

I love them but they're finicky but once you can get them to eat they'll do really good. I've decided to upgrade my reef tank to something bigger which I should of known that I wouldn't be satisfied with the 65g. So I'm thinking of the red sea reefer 525xl deluxe. Thinking of getting all different leopard wrasses to stock up.

20. southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer Active Member MTRCMember

nice!! i have to move the 90 for new flooring within the year, so ill likely move into a 4 foot 120 drilled. Still need some small fish for that system that my trigger wont harass and eat...

Draft saved Draft deleted