Black molly test question

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to test a display tank to see if there is ich in the system by acclimating and adding a black molly, do I first need to copper treat and quarantine the black molly to make sure it doesn't have ich that it could bring into the display tank?

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to test a display tank to see if there is ich in the system by acclimating and adding a black molly, do I first need to copper treat and quarantine the black molly to make sure it doesn't have ich that it could bring into the display tank?
I would just throw it in a qt tank no meds and see if ich shows within a few weeks.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are actually good to put it directly into the DT. As long as the tank/bucket (whatever you use) you convert the fish from FW to SW in doesn't contain parasites.

FW parasites are not transferable to SW and vice versa.

That is why is works to "test" with a Molly because when it comes from FW it will have zero resistance to SW parasites.

OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks for the responses. I’m starting to second guess my decision to move my rock and coral and start my new reefer 750 fallow. The algae quickly got out of control and I’ve never, ever had algae problems in the past. I’d like to make sure my old display really had ich before killing all my coral over the next 48 days.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are actually good to put it directly into the DT. As long as the tank/bucket (whatever you use) you convert the fish from FW to SW in doesn't contain parasites.

FW parasites are not transferable to SW and vice versa.

That is why is works to "test" with a Molly because when it comes from FW it will have zero resistance to SW parasites.

This exactly.

Great thanks for the responses. I’m starting to second guess my decision to move my rock and coral and start my new reefer 750 fallow. The algae quickly got out of control and I’ve never, ever had algae problems in the past. I’d like to make sure my old display really had ich before killing all my coral over the next 48 days.

It’s a safe bet that every batch of fish has ich, velvet, or flukes and quite likely all three. Just our experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back