Black Molly Test

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have heard that since I treated my tank for brooklynella it should be safe now. But I still am really wanting to be cautious and I’d like to do the black Molly test and I had a few questions:

-if it does get brook then can I just move it to my guppy tank and brook wont survive freshwater?
-can it be a different colored molly as I actually kind of like them and want to keep it
-how long should I acclimate it?

deafasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any Molly that normally lives in brackish water would be okay. I have acclimated mollies using the drip method, the same as if they were a salt water fish. I have read about others who have had the same mortality rate regardless of it they acclimated them or just tossed them in the tank. Personally I would want to acclimate them so that they have a chance to adjust to the new environment.
While I don't think brook will survive in freshwater, I would be hesitant to introduce any sick fish into a healthy tank. Might be safer with a bucket of fresh water without chlorine\chlorimins, a heater, and an airstone and doing the occasional water change until the life cycle of brook is over.

Jeff

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any Molly that normally lives in brackish water would be okay. I have acclimated mollies using the drip method, the same as if they were a salt water fish. I have read about others who have had the same mortality rate regardless of it they acclimated them or just tossed them in the tank. Personally I would want to acclimate them so that they have a chance to adjust to the new environment.
While I don't think brook will survive in freshwater, I would be hesitant to introduce any sick fish into a healthy tank. Might be safer with a bucket of fresh water without chlorine\chlorimins, a heater, and an airstone and doing the occasional water change until the life cycle of brook is over.

Jeff
Yeah that makes sense, how do I drop acclimate? I don’t exactly have a full on drip system, usually I just slowly use a cup to add a little bit at a time

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that makes sense, how do I drop acclimate? I don’t exactly have a full on drip system, usually I just slowly use a cup to add a little bit at a time
I've been reading up on this thinking about testing a tank that had marine ich before. Seems you have to drip for a couple weeks and go up slowly or it will kill them . All you need to do is let your saltwater bucket gravity feed down a 1/4" aquarium tube and pinch it over with a chip clip until it just barely drips.

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading up on this thinking about testing a tank that had marine ich before. Seems you have to drip for a couple weeks and go up slowly or it will kill them . All you need to do is let your saltwater bucket gravity feed down a 1/4" aquarium tube and pinch it over with a chip clip until it just barely drips.
So I actually did end up doing the Molly test and it went very smoothly. I only acclimated for around a day (drip acclimate, remove some water, repeat, with a bubbler and heater in) and it went extremely smoothly and they went right to grazing. I put 3 different mollies in, 1 Dalmatian Molly with a sailfin, 1 orange sailfin Molly, 1 regular half black half orange molly

Over the course of a few days I noticed the sailfin mollys doing exceptional but the other Molly that was not a sailfin was not adapting too well so I adjusted him back down to freshwater and put him in a freshwater tank I have

From my experience they do just fine acclimating over ~24 hours and the mollys that had sailfins did better. I think the half orange half black molly did not like the flow

Now they graze on algae and are doing great and are quite pretty!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back