Black ocellaris vs. Favia issue... what do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tclipse
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tclipse

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2011
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
Location
Centreville, VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty big favia colony (thanks to forrealb50) on a dome shaped rock, and when it gets PE at night my clown seems like he's trying to host in it... it hasn't been enough to kill the coral outright but it has a 2"x2" "unhappy spot" on the side where he rubs up against it during the night hours.

I would say bleached but the tissue is still clearly alive, just a bit "deflated" and translucent/uncolored.. I'm guessing it's expelling just enough of the zooxanthellae (sp?) to lose color but keeps enough to stay alive.

Anyone else had this problem? I used search but couldn't find much.

I'm guessing my only options are-
a) get rid of the clown
b) get rid of the favia
c) get a frogspawn/rbta/etc to keep the clown feeling secure at night (not an option until my tank upgrade when I move on June 1)

Any other ideas? The coral seems stable enough to make it through the month since this has been going on for 2-3 months without any necrosis, but it's one of those eyesores that bugs the heck out of me when I look at my tank.
 
Adding another "host" doesn't always work. I added a RBTA for my percs and they rolled in it once. They went right back to my big duncan coral. :squigglemouth:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new