MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- who's got them?

- what's your lineage?

- how long before they turned mostly black?

- what is their host if any?

I've seen some Picasso's that have some awesome black in them. and the contrast is just amazing. my current clowns are one year old now. in my situation, the black on my Picasso's have lessen since they started having the BTA's as their host. the ones that hang out in the BTA's are the least black. the ones that hang out in the open during the day are getting more and more black each month. my 3+ years old ORA Premium Picasso was on her way to having some amazing black but since she found the BTA's, she has lost a lot of black and just looks dirty brown to light black. I'm hoping that as they get older, they will still get their black as I've seen some Picasso's that are really black and have BTA's as their host. currently, I feed my fishes TDO and once/week, they get PE mysis when I feed the BTA's. I'm wondering if their diet has some effect on their coloration too.

what's your experience?

temper76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has to do a lot with the lights, n some with the diet, I have a red sea max with pc when lights were good I had torch,frogspawn ,candy canes,zoa etc.. I started buying clowns like they were crack stop care for my softy didn't bother changing bulb on do time,so my softies started dying ,so little by little my onyxs started fading from top fin half way down ,my Picasso lost their black also,now I have another tank bare bottom with lr n 50/50 they took for ever the onyx to keep their black ,now my c-quest onyx lineage is weird they keep their black no matter what,my Picassos are ora,my snowcasso are donis,some of my onyx are from rods,n some of my onyx Picasso are c-quest lineage both parents

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few different ways Picassos with a ton of black coming in early are being made. Some breeders are breeding Picasso X Onyx. Others are breeding Onyx X Onyx that show Picasso coloration. Others are breeding multiple Picassos that are showing a ton of black.

I've got one pair that is Onyx X Onyx

2012-4-22-IMG_8879.jpg

Some Onyx that I've sold in the past

2012-5-19-IMG_0568.jpg

2012-5-19-IMG_0551.jpg

2012-5-19-IMG_0550.jpg

2012-5-19-IMG_0542_copy.jpg

2012-5-19-IMG_0515.jpg

Dark Picasso

2012-5-12-IMG_0135.jpg

2012-5-12-IMG_0130.jpg

Here is the opposite end of the spectrum. Picasso X Picasso but both showing Onyx traits

2012-3-27-IMG_8694.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8699.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8711.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8717.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8721.jpg

Last edited:

kmaintl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few different ways Picassos with a ton of black coming in early are being made. Some breeders are breeding Picasso X Onyx. Others are breeding Onyx X Onyx that show Picasso coloration. Others are breeding multiple Picassos that are showing a ton of black.

I've got one pair that is Onyx X Onyx

Some Onyx that I've sold in the past

Dark Picasso

Here is the opposite end of the spectrum. Picasso X Picasso but both showing Onyx traits

Wow!!! Extremely nice Onyx, Onyx Picassos and Extreme Picassos... soooooo nice!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back