Black sand or white sand?

big ole blue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard, black substrate tends to heighten colors of the fish and invertebrates. I suppose it's a matter of what you'd think looks good. However if you're going for a specific area themed tank then black tends to suggest a volcanic region. Such as Hawaii and several other locations in the pacific.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me substrate is the choice of the owner of the aquarium. I dont think there is an incorrect decision unless it can be harmful to life that is chosen to be housed.

Sent from my SGH-T869 using Tapatalk 2

Bigsampson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would like it,
Put some in my 40 frag tank.
Really don't. Gets dirty faster. Not as "cool" as I thought it would be.
Been there, done that, no t-shirt.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our 29 Gallon we did a mix, Started with White Live Sand then added Black Sand because we thought it would look better, Then we got a Diamond Goby and he mixed it up and I dont like it at all but to big of a pain to fix at this point. For the day or so we had the solid Black sand on top we Loved it!

mrs.nanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my black sand. I've had white and it looks gross if it gets dirty never looks white. Plus everything pops with the black.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mrs.nanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me substrate is the choice of the owner of the aquarium. I dont think there is an incorrect decision unless it can be harmful to life that is chosen to be housed.

Sent from my SGH-T869 using Tapatalk 2

And I agree with him. It is really a personal preference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been said, it's really a matter of preference on the look. It has been said that black sand is harder to keep clean, but IMO that's just an urban legend: you have to work to keep both clean.

For me, I like black substrate because it just becomes part of the background, and anything of any color you place in the tank gets accentuated or "pops".

I'm sure you've seen lots of photos of tanks with white sand. Not too many black sand tanks out there, so here's a few photos of my black sand tank to help you visualize and help you choose. I used Arag-Alive Hawaiian black. It's a medium grain substrate. The grains are large enough that over time coralline has grown over it, and some softies like generic mushrooms, ricordeas and toadstool babies use it as an anchor. I used to religiously stir the surface weekly to keep it coal black in color, but I no longer touch it at all since I like the coralline look of the substrate.

IMG_0314_zpsfa14c32c.jpg~original

IMG_0297_zps515728d1.jpg~original

photo1.jpg~original

IMG_0554c.png~original

IMG_0066.jpg~original

shells4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the black sand with the coralline growing on it. Beautiful tank Palting!! We used black sand in a 29gal biocube. Thought it looked great at first but as we added corals we didn't think the colors popped as much as they should have. When we changed to white sand the colors of the corals were more vibrant. My theory is that the white sand reflects more light off of it, thus enhancing the colors. IDK, just my thoughts. I think the black sand would look great in a fish only tank.

yojowill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this feedback and for sharing these pictures Palting. I love it and consider my decision made. I am going with black substrate!

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed b&w.. but like said above.. too much of a pain to change.. I'll go all white (probably tropic eden reef flakes) when I upgrade..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back