Black slime on polyps

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, can anyone tell what is growing on these polyp's. I rescued the tank 7 months ago... Parameters are. Ammonia-0, nitrite-0, pH 8.2, niTRATE was 0. I'm around 10-20ppm at the moment. Phos0.5, calcium is 350 and rising, KH-9. Mag unknown. First noticed slime 1 month ago and is slowly growing. Thanks everyone.

IMG_20160909_124649.jpg

IMG_20160909_124520.jpg

IMG_20160909_124649.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your phos is high...what water do you use? filtration?

I know Ive had darker cyano grow up my paly stalks before. Is it fairly easy to brush off? Deep dark red/brown color?

OP
OP
xREEFINaintEZx

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro water with 4 tds u till I refill my Di. When I got the tank phos was 1.0, got its down to .5 but been struggling to get it lower.
Put a rock in tub of tank water. Brushed off easy, then dipped in ro. For the rock I can't take out do you advise scrubbing it in the tank?

Looked black untill I hit it with the brush...dark dark green. Any thoughts on red slime remover?

Thank you very much

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, you should wait for more info from someone with more experience.
All the cyano that I knock off is deep red/purply. It does come off easy.
If you have really small tubing, you could brush it off and suck it up at the same time as a water change so you could get it all out of the tank without sucking up a ton of water in the process.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To bring down the Po4, there are several products out there to use. One is Red Sea NoPoX. The NoPoX is a form of carbon dosing, you can also use GFO to bring down you Po4. Do you know what your nitrates are?

You also to a dip in Peroxide and Ro/Di to clean the rock. This is a great thread to read through on Peroxide and cyano posted by @twilliard

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always used peroxide to clean my sand but thats when theres nothing "living" in it--when its just in a bucket. Never tried it on rocks though.
Good luck

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I love rescue tanks. Ive had to rescue my own a couple times.

but been struggling to get it lower.
Please dont struggle. You doing fine, From the corals I can see. My Po is "high" too, but my large corals dont seem to mind.
My guess is your just going through a little bit of rebuild ugly phase. Normal. Double check what your feeding it may be just a reaction to a food if you havent had this before. Marine snow makes my tank break out like a teenager on chocolate.
My guess would be to rebuild the Bio filter. Nopox is a great idea to bolster it. you can also consider using a bacterial supplement, but not at the same time. Diversity is good. By bolstering the Bio in the tank itll break down all of the excess nutrients over time.
Check that you have some good turbulent flow to keep foods and poo in suspension and the detritus down in the DT and it gets to the skimmer. Do you have a sump? Refugium?

If you keep up on the WC siphon out and blow the junk off the rocks, and maybe add some floss to help pull out the little pieces.

Honestly the appearance of cyano always concerns me less than aptasia.
Everyone has cyano in thier tank, the trick is to feed the good guys more than the cyano.
A rebuild will take a bit longer to get in shape, and any of the suggestions above will take about the same amount of time.
Im a refugium guy, for low level appearance cyano the use of a refugium for me has been the fastest cure.

OP
OP
xREEFINaintEZx

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To bring down the Po4, there are several products out there to use. One is Red Sea NoPoX. The NoPoX is a form of carbon dosing, you can also use GFO to bring down you Po4. Do you know what your nitrates are?

You also to a dip in Peroxide and Ro/Di to clean the rock. This is a great thread to read through on Peroxide and cyano posted by @twilliard
niTRATEs are 20-40 ppm. I'm using the 2 sponges on the left for phos and nitrate. And I have carbon goin also.

IMG_20160912_145928.jpg

OP
OP
xREEFINaintEZx

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I love rescue tanks. Ive had to rescue my own a couple times.

Please dont struggle. You doing fine, From the corals I can see. My Po is "high" too, but my large corals dont seem to mind.
My guess is your just going through a little bit of rebuild ugly phase. Normal. Double check what your feeding it may be just a reaction to a food if you havent had this before. Marine snow makes my tank break out like a teenager on chocolate.
My guess would be to rebuild the Bio filter. Nopox is a great idea to bolster it. you can also consider using a bacterial supplement, but not at the same time. Diversity is good. By bolstering the Bio in the tank itll break down all of the excess nutrients over time.
Check that you have some good turbulent flow to keep foods and poo in suspension and the detritus down in the DT and it gets to the skimmer. Do you have a sump? Refugium?

If you keep up on the WC siphon out and blow the junk off the rocks, and maybe add some floss to help pull out the little pieces.

Honestly the appearance of cyano always concerns me less than aptasia.
Everyone has cyano in thier tank, the trick is to feed the good guys more than the cyano.
A rebuild will take a bit longer to get in shape, and any of the suggestions above will take about the same amount of time.
Im a refugium guy, for low level appearance cyano the use of a refugium for me has been the fastest cure.
No refugium, just sump of water with skimmer, return pump, heater and reactors.haha, If aiptasia scares you more then cyano does I've got issues. It was real bad when I got it. I got it under control then decided I didnt like some of my aquascaping... Long story short back to square 1.

IMG_20160912_145805.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run AF phosphate minus in the sump flow tray, and a bio pellet reactor in the sump by the protein skimmer. Brought my Po4 and No3 way down.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back