Black spots on dry rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter kwandrsn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2013
Messages
1,033
Reaction score
23
Location
Lyles Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some dry rock and I noticed some of it has black spot that wont scrub off. Is it safe to still use. I bought about 80lbs of it and probably half of it is like this.
 

Attachments

  • 1416481799609.jpg
    1416481799609.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 1416481830130.jpg
    1416481830130.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 365
  • 1416481863609.jpg
    1416481863609.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 554
IMO it's probably decaying organic matter of some sort; it's also unsightly. If I was in your shoes I would soak the rock in a bleach bath for a day or two; 1 cup bleach per gallon. Then rinse it off and let it dry in the sun. Same thing you would do with a sand dollar to turn it white and stop the decaying process.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new