OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the recovery @Jay Hemdal
Good news! I’ve not had any reports of that carbon causing issues, but black tangs are so sensitive, who knows? Thinking back on the timeline though- did this start before or after you stopped the ozone? You said the fish started to improve after you started it back up? I see some weird things here when our ozone goes down- not lesions like that, but cloudy water due to bacteria, etc.
Jay
I went back and checked my records and located the receipt when I bought it, January 6, 2019. After it went through my normal 6 week QT it has been in the DT while running ROX. I've never seemed to have a problem running ROX. It could have been the combination of ROX and ozone at the higher level I was running it. The fish improved after I stopped ROX and started the ozone back up at a reduced rate. My water is still crystal clear running the ozone without the ROX.
I did develop another theory. Just now!! October of 2019 I was battling high aluminum, 363 on the ICP test. I couldn't get it to come down and starting in July of this year I upped my normal 15% weekly water changes to 25% for 6 weeks straight and replaced the ROX with Brightwell Aquatics Purigen aggressively to try and bring down the aluminum. By aggressively I mean using more than needed and replacing every week. I was so focused on reducing the high aluminum I didn't consider any possible negative affects from my plan. I did another ICP test in September and the aluminum dropped from 363 to 28. That would put the timeline to mid August or about 3 weeks before I noticed his slime coat turning white. If you haven't used Purigen before it very messy and impossible to rinse until the water runs clear. Now that I think about it that seems to be text book for what not to use as a carbon source with tangs. As you said black tangs are sensitive. I'm starting to suspect the aggressive use of Purigen or Purigen / ozone combo. Who knows? Anecdotal I know. No other fish or coral colonies seemed affected. If anything my colonies had a positive response. I do have a yellow eye kole tang that I've had for years that hasn't been affected but, I think they are a hardier species of tang.
I was a bit too busy this afternoon for a pic. I will try to post one tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their response.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I know nothing about purigen, or possible relationship to ozone. Im stumped!

Jay

OP
OP
jwshiver

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see how bad he looks and how ratty his fins are. He looked like swimming death 3 weeks ago. I might name him Grim Reaper.
I'm guessing if he stays on this path to recovery it might be a few months until he is completely healed.

BlackTang111720.JPEG

JAIME_MTY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see how bad he looks and how ratty his fins are. He looked like swimming death 3 weeks ago. I might name him Grim Reaper.
I'm guessing if he stays on this path to recovery it might be a few months until he is completely healed.

BlackTang111720.JPEG
beautiful fish hope he gets better , best of luck!

Alexdiaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BlackTang111720.JPEG
Hope he makes a speedy recovery ! Best of luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back