black things on closed zoas

PaulE61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys
I got this zoa colony a few weeks ago, they all opened up first few days then mostly stayed closed, all params are ok except KH 13.7 dkh, Nitrate 25ppm, phosphate was 1ppm tho just tested 3 after adding 12gram bag of rowaphos 3days ago ! confused.....
Anyway params aside, I've noticed these black things on some of the closed polyps, what are they any ideas?
Cheers Paul

a1.jpg
e.jpg b.jpg B1.jpg

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under normal circumstances I would not worry too much about them being closed, but I have never seen anything like that black before.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that it is probably pooping then. Unless you have fed them that before and it didn't come out black. Is it only coming out of the ones that were open and fed?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of mine did this when I moved them from a tank into a reef jar. They stayed this way until I increased flow.

OP
OP
P

PaulE61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the flow was causing them to stay closed, so I moved them to where they are now which is low low area, they do seem to be opening a little more. Btw the flow where they were wasn't extreme.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do zoas poop? I suppose they do but wow that would be a crazy size #2. It also looks like it has a sort of wound up structure.
can you pick it off? Did you dip the colony? If not I would do so in coral rx or one of those pine sol-ey type dips or bayer and see what comes off. Might just solve the closed up issue if it is pest related as zoas often have

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like my situation was the opposite. They went from a medium to high flow area in the main tank to very minimal flow in the jar.

I figured mine were expelling waste based on the stress of the move with different light/water/flow and then not having enough flow to move it off the head.

Maybe it was just coincidence for me that they were able to clear it when I moved more flow. Might have just needed time.

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the insides or zooxanthellae is comin out. Id get that kh down for sure.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back