Black Widow Bubble tip question

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is doing a raffle to giveaway a black widow bubble tip anemone. It is GORGEOUS and is making me really want to enter.

I have seen people adding anemones into a 2-3 week old tank but wasn't sure if this is a smart move? If I were to win, id obviously want it to live. Would a month old cycled tank be too soon to add something like this? Should I just pass on this raffle? My levels have honestly been stable since the tank has cycled. 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Nitrates haven't even really spiked surprisingly. We have a cleaner shrimp, some snails, and two clowns so the tank does have a bioload. currently have 2 firefish and 1 gramma in QT now that will be added in 2-3 weeks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your water levels are stable and you have adequate lighting, you should be fine. Are you planning to QT your anemone or just straight drip-acclimate it to your main DT?

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your water levels are stable and you have adequate lighting, you should be fine. Are you planning to QT your anemone or just straight drip-acclimate it to your main DT?
That’s what I’m debating on, we have the means to do either or really. It’s freaking beautiful

Attachments

• AE55A39F-D6BE-49BB-B512-9EC6CBEB29A9.jpeg
    AE55A39F-D6BE-49BB-B512-9EC6CBEB29A9.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 49

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an anemone early, and since my LFS and I have very similar water (I buy my water from there and we keep the same temp and salinity) I went straight to my tank. It has been a happy camper pretty much ever since. I agree with stable water parameters and good lighting.

OP
OP
britnicole1724

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an anemone early, and since my LFS and I have very similar water (I buy my water from there and we keep the same temp and salinity) I went straight to my tank. It has been a happy camper pretty much ever since. I agree with stable water parameters and good lighting.
Our parameters have been stable since our tank has finished cycling. We are dealing with a small diatom issue right now and that’s my fear. I’d hate to add this beauty if it would just be death. If it is possible to keep it alive, we will go for it! Can’t hurt to try haha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I personally would wait as these nems require a stable envoronment with moderate light and water flow and proper lighting for production of zooxanthellae which provides it its' color and growth.
These anemones are sensitive to water changes and require pristine conditions to stay in good shape. Failing to meet their needs can result in early death and damage to the tank environment as a whole. Yes, getting caught in a power head is a concern but rarely occurs. I have 6 (which time to sell a couple of them and none have ever left their spot in the tank.
The most important thing you’ll need to take care of before you bring your anemone home is perfecting the tank and water conditions. You should never place a Bubble Tip Anemone into a tank you just set up.
Take some time to get parameters just right and let the closed environment cycle for a few months. This ensures that conditions are stable and safe. Bubble Tip Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable at all times using a good quakity test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temperature: Between 77°F and 82°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.4
  • Water hardness: 8 to 12 dKH
  • Specific gravity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new Bubble Tip Anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach.
Bubble Tip Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to truly thrive because they’re photosynthetic. Basically, that means that they absorb light to make food and grow. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists agree that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m debating on, we have the means to do either or really. It’s freaking beautiful
It's very nice! Just remember that they will move around a bit for the first 24-48 hours (sometimes longer) until they find a nice "bat cave". And as suggested, you do want to ensure you have at least a small powerhead to provide additional flow.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back