Bleach for filter sock

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean and soak my filter sock with bleach. But I dont use RODI, is it okay to use tap water when soak in Prime solution ? Will there be No3, po4 remain in the sock when it is dry out ?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I started making my own disposable socks, I used to rinse them and throw them in the washing machine with some bleach. Did an extra rinse or two, hang to dry, and put them back in use.

OldManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change felt socks every 2 or 3 days and soak the dirty one in bleach (after washing it out) for a day then rinse thoroughly and let it dry. They come out gleaming white and do not leach nitrate or phosphate. I do the rinse and soak in tap water. My water is very soft out of the tap with tds around 40 ppm but a few drops of harder water has no effect on your tank. Many people wash their filter socks in the washing machine - with no soap of course, or so the latest BRS video said.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine they the front loader with bleach on the sanitize cycle with hot water. Then air dry. They have done well. I wash them inside out.

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I started making my own disposable socks, I used to rinse them and throw them in the washing machine with some bleach. Did an extra rinse or two, hang to dry, and put them back in use.
what type of water source you used ?

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine they the front loader with bleach on the sanitize cycle with hot water. Then air dry. They have done well. I wash them inside out.
You just use normal water ? does not need RODI to clean it right ?

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right thanks all, just want to make sure things are good, I try to avoid mistakes, for a more consistent water param

PAdrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where do you get the material to make them?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get the material to make them?

JoAnn's Fabric Store. My wife always has a coupon and if you can catch the end of a bolt, they give you another discount for taking the "rest" of the bolt. You just have to make sure it's the Flammable stuff which has no added chemicals or anything. This is not my picture, but here is the stuff I use.

sock9-jpg.153739

PAdrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JoAnn's Fabric Store. My wife always has a coupon and if you can catch the end of a bolt, they give you another discount for taking the "rest" of the bolt. You just have to make sure it's the Flammable stuff which has no added chemicals or anything. This is not my picture, but here is the stuff I use.

sock9-jpg.153739

Awesome! Thank you

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back