BLEACHED ORA Neon Birdsnest! :( Advice needed!!

nickscorals

nano reefing in the big city 🏙️
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2019
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
1,466
Location
Brooklyn
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new light, and I ran it at 50% for the first day, and I think it was a bit too much:(
My Neon Birdsnest is now super bleached!! Any advice on how to reverse this?

IMG-1174.jpg


I also had 5 frags of the same coral on my sandbed, and 2 of them were killed off by bleaching too :(. All the other corals are unaffected.
 
The polyps aren't bleached, they fell off which is a sign of much higher stress. Birdsnest can be an easy coral to grow, but it can also be the first coral to show signs of stress.

What light were you using before? What is your new light? What other changes have been made?
 
Check Alk and PH.
Also Verify salinity is NOT HIGH
 
The polyps aren't bleached, they fell off which is a sign of much higher stress. Birdsnest can be an easy coral to grow, but it can also be the first coral to show signs of stress.

What light were you using before? What is your new light? What other changes have been made?
I was using an AI Hydra 26HD, but I decided I wanted something smaller to make room for a protein skimmer. Plus the Hydra was overkill for my 10 gallon. I got an AI Prime 16HD. I started the first day with a modified AB+ Spectrum at 50%, which is when I spotted bleaching. Since then it's been at 25%. A par meter is coming to help me tune the light.
 
Alk hovers around 9, PH hovers around 8.2.
Salinity is always 1.025-1.026
For a piece of mind- run a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test for comparison and confirmation. Moderate water flow for by Birdsnest and 50/50 on blue/white
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new