Bleaching or New Growth?

playboateralex

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2025
Messages
23
Reaction score
19
Location
Chattanooga
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m trying SPS for the first time since a failed attempt 4 years ago. Since I’ve upgraded my tank filtration. So I started with some green plating montipora. I’ve noticed the leading edge has whitened and I was curious if you thought it was bleaching or new growth. I’m hopeful because I see little polyps extended through it! I appreciate all your help!


20250715_123611_82B7CD7A-76AB-425D-98FF-D5D2E419B336.png
 
Yes, appears to be new growth.

SPS need stable ALk and detectable N & P. It is helpful to test for these to ensure that the coral growth remains possitive. Nice work thus far!
 
Nitrate at 3PPM
Phosphate at 0.05 PPM
Calcium is 425
Alkalinity is at 9.
Magnesium is at 1350
I’ve been stable at these levels for quite awhile. I’ve never done an ICP test so there could be some variation to the true results.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new