OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is used, so there was a bunch of scratches in it already. I have not noticed my racks causing scratches, but I am really careful when I move them. I pull the magnets away, but not so far that they lose attraction. I am not sure if that helps a lot, but that is my method. lol

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is used, so there was a bunch of scratches in it already. I have not noticed my racks causing scratches, but I am really careful when I move them. I pull the magnets away, but not so far that they lose attraction. I am not sure if that helps a lot, but that is my method. lol
I just hate looking at them in my tank

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hate looking at them in my tank

Agreed. I'm going to purchase a new one in the next couple of weeks. I am sure I will baby the heck out of that glass. I know how bad a bunch of scratches look and I do not want to get there.

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tyree red cyphastrea is turning a little orangy-yellow. No clue if this is a typical color change or if it's mad. I have 2 others that are perfectly happy. You can see one in the bottom right corner.

IMG_6604 copy.jpg
it looks like a strawberry lemonade cyphastrea mine did a color change as well.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I'm going to purchase a new one in the next couple of weeks. I am sure I will baby the heck out of that glass. I know how bad a bunch of scratches look and I do not want to get there.
Scratches are no fun but I’m talking about the racks. I hate seeing frag racks cluttering up my display.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleigh, i loved your videos! So refreshing. I noticed that you have a few plants. I have always killed plants :( But I am going to try again. I have a pothos I have managed to keep going for 2 years now. Sad looking stringy guy now though.
Very glad your tank is still going strong! Now that it has been up and going strong for awhile now...Any issues with salt creep due to the open top ?
anyway, I dont follow instagram. But your Bthefountain, not the drain is awesome. Just love it! it could entice me. But I spend too much time online as it is.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratches are no fun but I’m talking about the racks. I hate seeing frag racks cluttering up my display.

Oh I agree with that too. I try to get my racks out ASAP! MY smaller tank was getting overrun with the ugly stage, so I put the corals that were in there back in the big tank. When the ugly stage subsides, they'll go back into the smaller tank.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleigh, i loved your videos! So refreshing. I noticed that you have a few plants. I have always killed plants :( But I am going to try again. I have a pothos I have managed to keep going for 2 years now. Sad looking stringy guy now though.
Very glad your tank is still going strong! Now that it has been up and going strong for awhile now...Any issues with salt creep due to the open top ?
anyway, I dont follow instagram. But your Bthefountain, not the drain is awesome. Just love it! it could entice me. But I spend too much time online as it is.

Thank you so much! It is hard to find time to edit the videos... I have TONS recorded.

I love plants. My first "grown-up job" was in a plant tissue culture lab. We were funded mainly by the paper industry, but were able to culture some endangered species and reintroduce them in the wild. It was super rewarding, but alas, I decided to switch my research focus. It still creeps in here and there. I think a lot of people who are drawn to this hobby enjoy the reward of seeing things grow.

I do have some salt creep from one of the bulk heads. I drilled it myself, and had a small knick. It's not a lot, but I do have to sometimes add a bit more salt water to make up in the slight salinity decrease. Though, that may be coming from the skimmer, not the salt creep there. But no issues around the top.... unless you mean the smaller tank... the smaller tank is having a bit of salt creep. I think I can fix that, but have not had time.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like a strawberry lemonade cyphastrea mine did a color change as well.
Yeah. It's grown a ton since that picture. It is starting to spread on the the rocks. I just think it was a color change. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About time for a full tank shot (or 2)?
I took this one this morning.

. ll

All the windows in my house got replaced last week. I was waiting to finish that to buy a bigger tank that will be lps only. I was nervous there would be an accident with the windows and a brand new tank. There was no an accident, but they did lean the old windows on my tank. I would have passed out, southern belle style, had that been a new tank.
faint i cant GIF

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a general update, now that my windows are done, I am now looking for a 4-5 foot tank that is between 120-180 gallons in the DT. All the major brands that come with a stand are too modern looking for my house. I like the oak stands that waterbed has come out with, but they are not offering them on the bigger sized tanks yet. I like the CADE stands a lot. They seem to have thought out quite a few things.

In personal matters, I started a blog: bthefountain.com. Right now, I am treating it more as a book club with other interesting tidbits here and there.

I am also starting a new research line around education and STEM hobbies. I think that informal activities that do not lead to a terminal degree can be incredibly useful in gaining knowledge, but IMO, this knowledge is not as respected as someone who holds a terminal degree in the topic. I am interested in unraveling that, as I think education and sources of knowledge are changing tremendously. I am hoping to be at a point for data collection soon and am hopeful that some people I know from the hobby will be willing to participate.

I am really excited about the idea of my job becoming more aligned with my passions.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would love to have people join us for tonight's Carolina Reefing Community meeting. Anyone is welcome to join. Should be a bit shorter because we have another meeting next week where Reefbum will join us.

Team Hug GIF by Kochstrasse™

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also a contest for tonight. Only a hand full of people have entered, so the odds are pretty high that you'll win.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleigh- you’ve been busy. I currently have a 60”x18”widex24”tall. I’m going to recommend you go with a minimum 30” front to back tank. It makes such a statement with the scape. And flow is so much better. Think of the fish and corals you could pack in there, and still be able to easily clean the back glass. When I upgrade I’m going with a 36” front to back. I’ll be looking forward to seeing your new tank soon.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleigh- you’ve been busy. I currently have a 60”x18”widex24”tall. I’m going to recommend you go with a minimum 30” front to back tank. It makes such a statement with the scape. And flow is so much better. Think of the fish and corals you could pack in there, and still be able to easily clean the back glass. When I upgrade I’m going with a 36” front to back. I’ll be looking forward to seeing your new tank soon.

Lol too busy to tell everyone what I'm doing. I like that idea. Would that size require a custom tank build?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back