Blenny, Goby, & Longnose hawkfish compatibility quesion

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

After the recent passing of my royal gramma, I am down to 3 fish in my 30 gallon tank. I have a pair of clowns and a tailspot blenny. This summer I also lost my Yasha Goby, so I’m in the market for some new fish. I was wondering if I could keep a longnose hawk, the blenny, and a shrimp goby together. I was also thinking about adding an aiptasia eating filefish or some other fish that is “out of the ordinary”

Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have Aiptasia, I'd pass on the filefish (may nip your corals). A better hawkfish might be the Flame Hawkfish - which has been very peaceful and an absolute joy to observe in our tank. It would get along great with the shrimp and goby.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
how much rock space do you have available? if you have many spots to perch, then i see no issue with having a blenny and hawkfish together. if not much, then i wouldn't get the hawkfish.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much rock space do you have available? if you have many spots to perch, then i see no issue with having a blenny and hawkfish together. if not much, then i wouldn't get the hawkfish.
Plenty of caves and hiding places. My blenny has a favorite hole that he stays in 85% of the day :)

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have Aiptasia, I'd pass on the filefish (may nip your corals). A better hawkfish might be the Flame Hawkfish - which has been very peaceful and an absolute joy to observe in our tank. It would get along great with the shrimp and goby.
Flame Hawks tend to be a bit expensive, and aren’t they a little big for a 30 gallon?

I might be mistaken but I thought they needed a larger tank

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Hawks tend to be a bit expensive, and aren’t they a little big for a 30 gallon?
I might be mistaken but I thought they needed a larger tank
Mine did awesome in his 25-gallon lagoon. They're not really big fish, and they spend most of the time hanging out on rocks anyway as they lack a swim bladder. I mean, my flame hawkfish is in a 160-gallon now - but he rarely ventures beyond what I'd estimate is a 15-25 gallon area.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back