Blenny not eating and died for no reasons?

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

4 weeks ago, I added a tail spot blenny. I waited 24 hours after acclimation period before feeding to avoid any stress. The first time I fed him mysis shrimp, he wouldn’t take it. 2 days later, he kinda went for it, but not very much. When I noticed that he was getting emaciated, I started to feed him sea weed. He still didn’t eat it very much. I feel real sad because he was a quite expensive fish (56$ CAD). I have 2 clowns in as well and they didn’t go after the blenny the whole time I had it.

I’m crying right now and do not wanna do any homework today. He died this morning and I tried my best to get him to eat. I also always watched when feeding my fish.

What are the reasons for my blenny to starve to death? I’d also like to know how to prevent this in the future as well and I planned on seperating my clowns into a bowl temporarily to feed my future fish. I loved him very much.

Tank is at least 7 months old and my clowns are very healthy and out going.

IMG_0287.jpeg IMG_0289.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the reasons for my blenny to starve to death?
This is a good question for @Jay Hemdal but did the fish show any issues at all (for example, fast breathing, flashing, etc.)?
I’d also like to know how to prevent this in the future as well
If it's not disease-related, then you can try things like matching the food they were offered at the store or offering different foods - things like clam on half shell, live blackworms or white worms, live Artemia nauplii (Baby Brine Shrimp), etc. can all help to entice fish that aren't eating other foods to start eating.

No guarantees these would help, but they might.

If the fish starts taking a food, you can keep feeding it that food and just slowly mix in the food you want it to eat - eventually, you should be able to wean the fish off of the first food it takes altogether and have it just eating the food you want.

Again, no guarantees, but it may help/work.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good question for @Jay Hemdal but did the fish show any issues at all (for example, fast breathing, flashing, etc.)?

If it's not disease-related, then you can try things like matching the food they were offered at the store or offering different foods - things like clam on half shell, live blackworms or white worms, live Artemia nauplii (Baby Brine Shrimp), etc. can all help to entice fish that aren't eating other foods to start eating.

No guarantees these would help, but they might.

If the fish starts taking a food, you can keep feeding it that food and just slowly mix in the food you want it to eat - eventually, you should be able to wean the fish off of the first food it takes altogether and have it just eating the food you want.

Again, no guarantees, but it may help/work.
He showed white patches of colours quite often. Fast breathing was hard to notice because he hid a lot for the first 2 weeks. Yeah, he never took on mysis shrimp in the first place, so I had to try something else and the same thing happened. The thing is, the white patches of colours would appear and disapear at will. And one time, he flashed a blueish greenish colour. I never saw that happen again. Just the usual white patches and then the normal colour. He just passed away today.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He showed white patches of colours quite often. Fast breathing was hard to notice because he hid a lot for the first 2 weeks. Yeah, he never took on mysis shrimp in the first place, so I had to try something else and the same thing happened. The thing is, the white patches of colours would appear and disapear at will. And one time, he flashed a blueish greenish colour. I never saw that happen again. Just the usual white patches and then the normal colour. He just passed away today.
He looks very juvenile to me. It may have been the way he was collected. Never had one not eat mysis.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks very juvenile to me. It may have been the way he was collected. Never had one not eat mysis.
Yeah, it could be that. He cost 56$ CAD after taxes. I’m not sure that I want another one if he refuses again to eat what I give my clowns.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, it could be that. He cost 56$ CAD after taxes. I’m not sure that I want another one if he refuses again to eat what I give my clowns.
I have never had one not eat what the clowns do. I would definitely try it again with a larger specimen.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll see if they have an adult one in stock. Otherwise, I’ll avoid this fish for a while. It’s just because I fear of losing another tail spot blenny the same way as my first one.
I would express my concern to them and ask if they would discount it.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would express my concern to them and ask if they would discount it.
Thanks! I’ll talk about its death for sure! I never feed newly added fish in the first 24 hours. Only because the fish is super stressed and I don’t want to make it worse.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I’ll talk about its death for sure! I never feed newly added fish in the first 24 hours. Only because the fish is super stressed and I don’t want to make it worse.
I usually dim the lights if they seem timid, but never had one not take mysis.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I lost my midas blenny recently. I’m almost certain it was due to bullying. He got super skinny and just looked beat up. No hard breathing or erratic swimming. He just started not coming out of his sleeping spot even during feeding time. He used to eat like it was his last meal and joined in the mass feeding frenzies.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I lost my midas blenny recently. I’m almost certain it was due to bullying. He got super skinny and just looked beat up. No hard breathing or erratic swimming. He just started not coming out of his sleeping spot even during feeding time. He used to eat like it was his last meal and joined in the mass feeding frenzies.
Maybe, but I never saw my clowns attacking him. He even swam with or around my clowns a few times and none of them attacked him.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t beat yourself up, sometimes fish are acquired that are on the decline but there’s no outside signs yet. Sounds like you did the best you could. I recently bought a tail spot that ate like a pig when put in my tank. Take @Katrina71 ‘s advice and purchase another, perhaps from a different source. When I purchased mine I had them feed it in front of me before I took it.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t beat yourself up, sometimes fish are acquired that are on the decline but there’s no outside signs yet. Sounds like you did the best you could. I recently bought a tail spot that ate like a pig when put in my tank. Take @Katrina71 ‘s advice and purchase another, perhaps from a different source. When I purchased mine I had them feed it in front of me before I took it.
Thanks! I only have one lfs in Montreal. All others are outside.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back