Blindness

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve determined my pearly jawfish is blind. Eyes are clear, no known infection history. There is ich in the tank, but no signs.

I’ve had him 6mo or so but age unknown (wild caught, full size).

Used to be a ferocious eater, out in the water column, not shy at all. Various frozen foods, primarily gulf shrimp, bay scallop, and mysis. He never shows interest in the nls pellets.

A couple days ago he destroyed his burrow and moved sand everywhere. Clearly stressed, I thought it was just a random fit maybe brought on by a snail falling in. Since then he has mostly been staying in a corner of the tank and makes attempts to eat but rarely makes contact with food that floats by his face.

Questions:

1) Cause? Environmental? Diet? Disease? Age?

2) Anything I can reasonably do to help? Won’t survive long without eating!

Thanks for any input. I’ll get another if he passes, but I want to be sure it’s not something infectious or a result of my actions.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin is well known for helping fish with bad eye infections that may be internal in nature. Dose in a QT as it can be very harsh on the biofilter.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be a general reduced interest in eating which could mean there is some internal issue or even internal parasites at play.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is definitely blind. I used a variety of items in the tank to check awareness, even so far as to push him around with a stick. When food is broadcast around him, he swipes around but misses.

I’ll look into medicating. The fact that his eyes are clear makes me wonder. Sorry about the hyper blue!

26DC7EA1-D350-43FD-94BF-BA1BA0B8069A.jpeg 07DCD34C-7508-455A-81F4-2D3AB8E16C08.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough situation. Many blame fish blindness on collection methods using cyanide, over use of copper or other chemicals during collection, shipping, etc.
There is a particular species of flukes that goes for the eyes and may have caused this damage previously and a bacterial infection has set in effecting the fish's optic nerves. That's where the erythromycin comes in and sometimes helps.
Best of luck with your fish.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I thought he had flukes awhile back because of some flashing behavior. I did a full course of Prazi, but perhaps that was ineffective or it was reintroduced somehow. Hard to say, but it at least gives me a possible explanation.

I’ll look into Erythromycin. QT tank is clean and ready to set up.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-read what you were saying about flukes. If I understand now, the flukes may have been cleared months ago but damage caused. Now a bacterial infection has moved in.

Got it, makes sense. Appreciate it. Will update when something changes... good or bad.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are Prazi resistant flukes. And treating flukes the surface ones; then the ones in the gills and lastly the ones within the eyes are the most difficult to eradicate. Sustained hypo-salinity or other meds are often necessary to completely remove those two more difficult types of flukes. Sorry your fish and you have had to go through all of this. Here's @Humblefish 's descriptor and treatment advisory on Flukes:

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP, Bubbles.

I euthanized him this morning. He was switching between frantically swimming around and bashing into things and then huddling in the corner. His mouth was cut up from hitting the glass. The stress was unbearable. I couldn't get him to eat enough to realistically keep alive, just lucky bites here and there out of a long eye dropper.

This sucks. Appreciate your advice regardless.

He's contributing to the health of a dragon tree now.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP, Bubbles.

I euthanized him this morning. He was switching between frantically swimming around and bashing into things and then huddling in the corner. His mouth was cut up from hitting the glass. The stress was unbearable. I couldn't get him to eat enough to realistically keep alive, just lucky bites here and there out of a long eye dropper.

This sucks. Appreciate your advice regardless.

He's contributing to the health of a dragon tree now.
So sorry to read this. Sounds like you did the right thing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back