Clownfish Rapid Breathing?

cjbrown24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are on week 2 of having this clownfish. Last week he was swimming around everywhere, eating pellets and frozen food, basically whatever we put into the tank. The past couple days he’s started to not eat pellets but is still eating the LRS frozen food just fine.

He’s also started to kind of just hang in the back of the tank not moving much. I’m not very experienced but it seems like he has some rapid mouth and gill movement?

Also noticed a white spot near his mouth that hasn’t moved in 2 days. Does it look like any action is warranted?

Ammonia- 0
Nitrates- 5
Phosphates- .05

IMG_6669.jpeg IMG_6668.jpeg IMG_6667.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6666.mov
    56.9 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you treat your fish with medication in your tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clown appears to have brooklynella and will have loss of color, appetite and elevated breathing
Please post video of the fish under white light intensity

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I agree with @vetteguy53081 here.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had uploaded a 30 second video. Did it not come through?
Im back home and can view on a large screen. Appears to be brook with secondary lesions. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body which is noticeable on the fish as this mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution but near impossible to acquire. Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank as long as fish'st breathing rate reduces or you can do in clean container with aeration. Even though this step will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cjbrown24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a freshwater dip today to see if I can give some relief to it. It’s the only fish in the tank. Ruby Rally Pro gets in tomorrow and will follow humble fish 1 tsp per gallon for the bath then into a quarantine tank. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
C

cjbrown24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Would 4 weeks be enough of a fallow period? Everywhere else I’ve been reading said 6 weeks minimum? I’m completely new at all this so just double checking. Was probably going to do the full 6 weeks anyway.

Thanks again for your time.

OP
OP
C

cjbrown24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish didn’t make it should have properly vetted the LFS but still new at all this. Being the first fish makes this tough. Had him about 3 weeks and he was looking great for a while. All happened so fast. There were probably earlier signs I’m sure but I must have just missed them…

At least we were taking it slow and he was our only fish. Now we can give the tank another 6 weeks to mature I guess.

Are we 100% sure it was Brook? It never really had that peeled off skin I’ve seen in pictures, just some loss of color around the face and side. Pretty sure it couldn’t have been an ammonia spike. We have some snails, couple of hermits, an Mithras crab, and a cleaner shrimp who are all doing great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back