Blonde naso struggling.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok so lets say that it is from the bad batch of Naso's. What about my other fish? Do you think they are ok to move on to the main display? I really don't want to do 30 days of copper on them if they are fine.
They should not be affected. Its not a bad batch but rather country of origin and suspected method of capture. Many of the blondes coming from Sri lanka

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should not be affected. Its not a bad batch but rather country of origin and suspected method of capture. Many of the blondes coming from Sri lanka
Would you agree that I drop the copper level and go no meds and observe for a week or so? Poor naso is still alive and breathing slightly heavy.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is showing stress spots and as Much as I hate to say, there has been an influx of blonde nasos coming in from Sri Lanka and suspect is they are being cyanide caught and often are doing fine, sort of eating, then begin to stop eating and weaken to the point of rapid breathing then lethargy.
Prazi does reduce appetite but this is a treatment on assumption and gills flukes will show rapid breathing but if you truly have flukes present, you will see loss of appetite, loss of color, clamped fins, hiding, sudden darting and even cloudy eyes. Yawning is very noticeable with gill flukes. It sounds like a couple of these apply and not sure how you treated with prazi but advised is to apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Bought one on february and ate for a while then 3 weeks later was dead. Iust started swimming sideways and getting caught on pumps. All other fish p were fine. Havent lost a fish like this in a long time. Suspicion he had poison in him that ate his organs all up. Wont be buying any naso for a bit.

As for yours i think this may be the case which is good news in the sense your other fish are fine. But bad in the sense the poor naso is doomed. Move the other fish if you can and just try to leave him alone and see if he can come out of it on his own. Otherwise not much you can do.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would you agree that I drop the copper level and go no meds and observe for a week or so? Poor naso is still alive and breathing slightly heavy.
Copper should have no impact on fish with whats going on and you can if you wish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bought one on february and ate for a while then 3 weeks later was dead. Iust started swimming sideways and getting caught on pumps. All other fish p were fine. Havent lost a fish like this in a long time. Suspicion he had poison in him that ate his organs all up. Wont be buying any naso for a bit.

As for yours i think this may be the case which is good news in the sense your other fish are fine. But bad in the sense the poor naso is doomed. Move the other fish if you can and just try to leave him alone and see if he can come out of it on his own. Otherwise not much you can do.
Yeah, similar activity with many over last few months and its all similar with each one

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Encouraging sign. I would leave the qt alone for now and see what happens. Less stress the better.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He did really well for another week and then went back to his bad state and died this time unfortunately. All other fish in QT are fine with no meds.
Same as I described with the naso tangs since last fall. Unless you find a 6" that is eating aggressively- I would avoid them

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have being eyeing some online, if the same fish still avaliable in a store after a month, ill get it then.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back