Blotched Anthias - care questions

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't been able to find many answers to this fish due to their cost and rarity. I suppose I could assume they are similar to other Anthias but I will ask anyways. How do they handle lots of flow? And do they do well with other fish like tangs? I have the option to purchase two for a really good price but want to give them a good home. Also are they similar to other Anthias that require multiple feedings a day?

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get them? I don’t know the answers, but was just reading about them bc there is one on Divers Den and I wanted to ask folks who have them how they like them and if they look worth the price tag. If you got them, what do you think?

here’s what live aquaria says on care - answers some of your questions and according to their compatibility chart anthias are fine with tangs.

The Blotched Anthias makes a highly-prized and colorful addition to a large, established reef aquarium (the deeper the better). Originating from deep waters, the Blotched Anthias prefers to occupy the lower regions of the aquarium. To best replicate a natural environment, aquascape liberally with live rock to create ample crevices and caves for the Blotched Anthias to seek refuge. However, be sure to maintain open areas and plenty of surface area for proper water oxygenation. An environment with low to moderate lighting conditions is ideal for the Blotched Anthias, but these fishes adapt well to more intense lighting utilized on modern reef aquariums.

Once acclimated to a new aquarium, Anthias do best when fed a varied diet of enriched frozen mysis shrimp, enriched frozen brine shrimp, and over time may eat high-quality flake foods offered in small quantities throughout the day. An attached refugium cultivating copepods and amphipods provides a steady supply of nutritious live food sure to keep this active planktivore content.

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up two from NY Aquatic that are doing very well in my QT. They don’t have any problem in Copper Power, eat like slobs and are entertaining. In the beginning one was a jerk to the other, but things seems to be settling down now that dominance has been established.

I think they would be fine with one good feeding a day, but it would be good to have a healthy pod population in the water column.

Are they worth $700+ that Diver’s Den is asking?. Not as long as you can get them for less than half the price elsewhere and QT them yourself.

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say they are beginner friendly at all? Beautiful fish I’d love to try but if they’re expensive and not hardy I’ll pass.
I don’t think so. They need an established 125 gallon plus tank, with rock work. So far, they are heartier than other Anthias I have had, but I wouldn’t put them in the category of Clownfish and Pajama Cardinals.

AQUAMAN22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harry’s marine has blotched anthias for $75 bucks check out there live sales on Facebook. I picked up 2 and 1 was doa but they took care of the doa ASAP

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say they’re beginner fish friendly but if you can see they’re eating well and they look healthy then you shouldn’t have too much trouble. High flow isn’t an issue as I see them in plenty of SPS tanks. I don’t know a lot about their aggression level so I won’t speak too much in that but generally they’re not aggressive outside their species

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harry’s marine has blotched anthias for $75 bucks check out there live sales on Facebook. I picked up 2 and 1 was doa but they took care of the doa ASAP
That’s an unreal price.

saltwaterjunkie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at Harry’s and they are between 320-350. Were they running a promo to get them that cheap? I’d buy several if really $75

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back