Blue birdsnest question

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a blue birdsnest frag which was delivered 3 weeks ago. It was a muave purple color skeleton with a half inch bleached white stem from shipping. The other stems are not bleached. I've had it in the tank for 3 weeks but have seen no PE. The bleach part has minimal improvement in color. The vendor already gave credit for the frag. Is there any chance this frag may recover? The skeletal base and branches are still muave colored and there has been no more obvious bleached death signs. I have about 20 SPS frags now that all seem to be growing with nice color. Just wondering if it is worth trying still with this birdsnest frag?

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a blue birdsnest frag which was delivered 3 weeks ago. It was a muave purple color skeleton with a half inch bleached white stem from shipping. The other stems are not bleached. I've had it in the tank for 3 weeks but have seen no PE. The bleach part has minimal improvement in color. The vendor already gave credit for the frag. Is there any chance this frag may recover? The skeletal base and branches are still muave colored and there has been no more obvious bleached death signs. I have about 20 SPS frags now that all seem to be growing with nice color. Just wondering if it is worth trying still with this birdsnest frag?
Post pictures...
If its the same as mine I may be able to help.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20220528_174817.jpg
    20220528_174817.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220528_174804.jpg
    20220528_174804.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trim the dead areas and remount on a fresh plug. Oven done it w my seriatopora and they all responded positively
Yes it's a small section. My eyes aren't that good and at times it seems like it's getting color back so have been waiting it out a bit.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Apply moderate light and water flow to it.
You can safely iodine dip or frag it

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it still appear to be alive in the crappy pics I took with my phone?
A telltale sign of sps being alive is polyp extension. If the polyps are out… it’s alive. Now that doesn’t mean if they’re in it’s dead either. Sps are tricky tricky. I’ve done tests with frags from the same colonies in different areas of my tank and different tanks all together. No piece grew identical to the mother colony

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A telltale sign of sps being alive is polyp extension. If the polyps are out… it’s alive. Now that doesn’t mean if they’re in it’s dead either. Sps are tricky tricky. I’ve done tests with frags from the same colonies in different areas of my tank and different tanks all together. No piece grew identical to the mother colony
I have not see any identifiable PE since I received it 3 weeks ago. But it isn't turning all white either. It has stayed pretty much the same as it came in. One thing that concerned me was the shipping water seemed very cold probably in the 60s. It didn't smell dead in the bag.

If it was dead now wouldn't the skeletal structure be turning completely white? However, birdsnest are usually very fluffy and I see nothing.

Last edited:

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not see any identifiable PE since I received it 3 weeks ago. But it isn't turning all white either. It has stayed pretty much the same as it came in. One thing that concerned me was the shipping water seemed very cold probably in the 60s. It didn't smell dead in the bag.

If it was dead now wouldn't the skeletal structure be turning completely white? However, birdsnest are usually very fluffy and I see nothing.
If there’s still tissue, there’s still hope. Polyp extension might be during lights out. If you’re experienced with fragging, I’d go that route. With the tissue loss that’s occurred. I’ve had pieces never show any signs of life, poop brown for MONTHS. Then BOOM, they settle in color up and like an ugly duckling turn into a beautiful swan. This can happen with ANY coral.

Back