Blue Bottle brush acro w/ banded acro crab w/ apitasia?! wtd?

Divemaster561

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help fellow reefers!
I purchased a Blue Bottlebrush acro that came with a banded acro crab living inside the Frag.. I also noticed a small aiptasia on the frag. :(
My tank has done spectacular with no aiptasia.
How do I save this acro and banded acro crab without putting aiptasia into my tank?!?!
I was thinking of using a toothpick to pull the banded crab off, dipping the acro, cutting the plug, and placing on a new frag plug.. but unfortunately that doesn't help the aiptasia problem.. Any ideas would be greattttly appreciated as I really, really, want to save this acro and the happy little banded acro crab.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful surgery to first dislocate the crab. It the aiptasia is attached to the crab it will have to go.

Once the crab is free, surgery to remove the aiptasia should follow. Cut the acro so that the blue coral is not incontact with the attachment point of the aiptasia. Once you have everything seperated, you can dip, then reassemble the crab and coral in one location and toss everything else to prevent infection with the wicked nem.
Doctor GIF by Dr Aesthetica

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it's not too central in the colony, F-Aiptasia is probably a reasonable option if you can't chisel it out. If you can chisel it out, make sure you get the entire base.

I wouldn't remove the crab, personally.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back