Blue Hippo in quarantine looking worse

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this started yesterday, he is in quarantine for ich. Other fish in system showing signs of ich, so everyone is being treated.

copper was started last night. Is this a different sickness/parasite? Is it HLLE? The 2 other tangs in quarantine are fine. This morning he did not look this bad.
How should I proceed?

BF760CCF-A612-4267-9DF1-E53197FD06C2.jpeg 05BECD03-8007-4800-8B0E-EE4B0B8F48FE.jpeg

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have clearer and/or closer pics? It’s hard to tell how big the white spots are. There also seems to be some sort of infection but clearer pics would definitely help with an ID.

if the other fish have symptoms can you post pics of those too?

Does it look like they’re completely covered up or a few spots here & there?

OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G MIght be able to help too... Doesnt look like HLLE to me. Hippos sometimes struggle with Copper. If you are treating for Ich I would suggest using the TTM ( https://humble.fish/tank-transfer-method/ )as it looks like he isn't handling this well. I would also treat some Antibiotics: https://humble.fish/antibiotics/ to help this guy out.
Thank you! I have been researching the hippos and copper treatment. It does seem like some can handle it and some can’t. I’m not sure if it is him not handling it well though, because the white spot started in the DT. It has gotten worse since quarantined in copper. I can’t find any pictures online that look like what he has. I will research the bacterial infection/antibiotics and do the TTM if that is what he needs. Thank you! I wouldn’t have thought to look into the antibiotics myself

Do you have clearer and/or closer pics? It’s hard to tell how big the white spots are. There also seems to be some sort of infection but clearer pics would definitely help with an ID.

if the other fish have symptoms can you post pics of those too?

Does it look like they’re completely covered up or a few spots here & there?

Thank you for responding! Here are the zoomed in versions. I also and adding the purple with spots we think are ich. The only other fish who have spots were a coral beauty and one of the clowns. Both has around 3 spots. The hippo did not show spots until the white discoloration on his head showed up.

Also, this evening I observed the hippo rubbing his head on the pvc pipe. Could he be causing this by rubbing his head? (His tail looks bad though, so im not hopeful that’s all it is).

0495CA1A-7F48-4990-96DB-3220AEAB5619.png FD500A35-9DC8-4979-8698-85E3C9A893E3.png D08C054F-8517-4CE6-936A-4AD2C8B545DD.jpeg 41CCF826-79C4-4069-906A-0D2C4A95A963.jpeg

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to diagnose things as I’m not a expert but the hippo has enough “that looks more than a spot” going in that I’d want to get some knowledgeable eyes on it. Some of the markings worry me. Would be worth posting in Humblefish’s disease forum. http://humble.fish/community/index.php

What brand of copper are you using and what dosage do you have them in? It’s important not to OD and it’s equally important to raise it slowly to the therapeutic level (ie don’t get to full dose all in one shot).

do you have a copper test kit to ensure you maintain the correct level once you’ve raised it up?

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is crazy it is a flesh eating parasite to me the blue tangs are very sensitive to it zebrasomas not so much ick is from stress the clowns are very hardy and have a thick layer of mucus around them copper will just stress them out more prazipro and herbtana should help do not transfer anything from that tank to your main display

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

wanted to check on his progress. You may have a few things going on. I am not a disease guy, I will say HLLE has some play in it. A fresh water dip may provide some relief. I am not sure who is around tonight, hopefully a bump will help

also #reefsqaud

OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to diagnose things as I’m not a expert but the hippo has enough “that looks more than a spot” going in that I’d want to get some knowledgeable eyes on it. Some of the markings worry me. Would be worth posting in Humblefish’s disease forum. http://humble.fish/community/index.php

What brand of copper are you using and what dosage do you have them in? It’s important not to OD and it’s equally important to raise it slowly to the therapeutic level (ie don’t get to full dose all in one shot).

do you have a copper test kit to ensure you maintain the correct level once you’ve raised it up?

thank you for inserting humblefish’s forum! I posted there and have him on antibiotics. The copper is copper power and it is currently at 1.25. I have 2 tests to check levels and am ramping up slowly - 2 x a day for 4 days to get up to 2.0.

Evening

wanted to check on his progress. You may have a few things going on. I am not a disease guy, I will say HLLE has some play in it. A fresh water dip may provide some relief. I am not sure who is around tonight, hopefully a bump will help

also #reefsqaud

hello! He is looking worse and getting weaker. I am debating on humanely euthanizing at this point. I don’t want him to suffer, and am not sure on his chances of getting better. I’ll update in the morning. I started the first round of antibiotics this afternoon, but I’ve read they take a while to work on fish. I’m kicking myself because if I had an idea on Thursday what he had, I could have started the treatment then, instead of the copper. maybe he would have had a better chance.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for inserting humblefish’s forum! I posted there and have him on antibiotics. The copper is copper power and it is currently at 1.25. I have 2 tests to check levels and am ramping up slowly - 2 x a day for 4 days to get up to 2.0.

hello! He is looking worse and getting weaker. I am debating on humanely euthanizing at this point. I don’t want him to suffer, and am not sure on his chances of getting better. I’ll update in the morning. I started the first round of antibiotics this afternoon, but I’ve read they take a while to work on fish. I’m kicking myself because if I had an idea on Thursday what he had, I could have started the treatment then, instead of the copper. maybe he would have had a better chance.
I'm not saying you should.......... but man is he not looking good. I'm no expert, maybe he can be saved but man that's really sad

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always a hard and personal decision. Sorry if I missed it, is his breathing labored, when was the last time he ate. I did see you mentioned his scraping.

OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, his breathing became labored today. Today he has stayed low in the tank, almost trying to lay down on his side (he is still upright, but that’s what it looks like what he is doing to me). Before he swam around like normal. Last time I watched him eat was Thursday.

OP
OP
Kalinina

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would now be a good time? Or should I see how he is in the morning? I don’t have any experience with when to know it is time for fish.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would now be a good time? Or should I see how he is in the morning? I don’t have any experience with when to know it is time for fish.
I don't either. Wait for the morning. Let us know. Do you know how to do it right?

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • NO

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back