Blue hippo Scratching

*unique*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a blue hippo tang in quarantine and it keeps scratching I had this tang for about 1 year in my office tank

I did a bigger tank in my home and decided to qt him even tho I had the hippo for 1 year in the office tank and didn’t add anything new to that office tank since hippo.

At first the hippo would scratch when I added him 1 year ago to the office tank (never qt) then it lasted a month then it stopped and never scratched again.

NOW 1 year later I have him in the qt with a foxface in coppersafe at 2.40 ppm of copper and it’s been 2 weeks and now nonstop scratching his skin looks terrible pls help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone I have a blue hippo tang in quarantine and it keeps scratching I had this tang for about 1 year in my office tank

I did a bigger tank in my home and decided to qt him even tho I had the hippo for 1 year in the office tank and didn’t add anything new to that office tank since hippo.

At first the hippo would scratch when I added him 1 year ago to the office tank (never qt) then it lasted a month then it stopped and never scratched again.

NOW 1 year later I have him in the qt with a foxface in coppersafe at 2.40 ppm of copper and it’s been 2 weeks and now nonstop scratching his skin looks terrible pls help.
Can you post a picture - any more information - any other new additions to the 'bigger tank'? Was the rock etc - in the 'bigger tank' fallowed - or from a tank that could have had a parasite. ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

They do this occasionally but if excessive points to flukes or velvet but fukes not unusual for this type fish. Some symptoms of flukes are: rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
If you see some of these, it may then be. As requested a video otherwise pics under white lighting will be helpful. If video, at least 30 seconds will help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is the foxface a new fish? Could it have exposed the blue tang to flukes?
There are also rare cases where a fish has a chronic case of skin flukes, but is able to manage the infection. then, when the fish is moved to a new tank, the stress of the move allows the flukes to take over and the fish gets sick.

Copper does not help with flukes. I would suggest treating the tank with praziquantel - either General Cure or Prazipro, with good aeration, two times, eight days apart.

Jay

OP
OP
U

*unique*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone sorry I was away but am back home now here are the pics this fish eats like a pig also ! You have no idea how hard it is to get pic of this dude so dang adhd!

Attachments

• EFF90BF7-1A14-4465-8B12-E5372D28207F.png
    EFF90BF7-1A14-4465-8B12-E5372D28207F.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2254.MOV
    29.4 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey everyone sorry I was away but am back home now here are the pics this fish eats like a pig also ! You have no idea how hard it is to get pic of this dude so dang adhd!
These may be neobendendia flukes which are typically only ones visible to the eye and also are stubborn when it comes to treatment as it may take repeated Prazi treatments or hyposalinity (1.009) to get them to dislodge and fall
If using Prazi, I prefer quarantine tank and with Prazi - dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
U

*unique*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These may be neobendendia flukes which are typically only ones visible to the eye and also are stubborn when it comes to treatment as it may take repeated Prazi treatments or hyposalinity (1.009) to get them to dislodge and fall
If using Prazi, I prefer quarantine tank and with Prazi - dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite
Which would u prefer prazi or hypo which is easier and most effective , I don’t wanna lose this fosh

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Which would u prefer prazi or hypo which is easier and most effective , I don’t wanna lose this fosh
Prazi takes time but is effective. Hypo also effective but can be stressful to some fish.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry I meant which is more fast not which u prefer since u said u prefer prazi
Prazi takes about 2 days to start working. Hypo takes about the same as if this isnt more confusing LOL

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a dip in rodi water? I did it with mine and she got immediate relief. Hasn't flashed since.

OP
OP
U

*unique*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi takes about 2 days to start working. Hypo takes about the same as if this isnt more confusing LOL
Gonna prazi , so I dose 85% of the recommended dosage leave it for 8 days, then water change and dose the same dosage and keep for another 8 days correct?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My little dude scratched like crazy in my QT tank and developed Ich. Once the ich was gone I moved him to my big tank and he doesnt do it any more. I mention this cause you said he was in QT. I think my little guy was frustrated and stressed in the smaller QT tank. I could be wrong though, not a fish medic, I leave that to the experts

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back