Blue Hippo Tang Tail Disease

JoeyTurnstile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first time caller, long time listener. I picked up a juvenile hippo tang a few weeks ago, and today I noticed a disease on it's tail. I assume this is because of nutrient deficiencies, so I just ordered Vita Chem and Selcon, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on what's going on.

I'm feeding TDO pellets, Mysis, LRSPremium Seaweed.

My parameters are OK, salinity was low (1.020) due to a faulty refractometer, but that has been corrected.

IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2077.JPG IMG_2076.JPG IMG_2075.JPG IMG_2074.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all, first time caller, long time listener. I picked up a juvenile hippo tang a few weeks ago, and today I noticed a disease on it's tail. I assume this is because of nutrient deficiencies, so I just ordered Vita Chem and Selcon, but I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on what's going on.

I'm feeding TDO pellets, Mysis, LRSPremium Seaweed.

My parameters are OK, salinity was low (1.020) due to a faulty refractometer, but that has been corrected.

IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2077.JPG IMG_2076.JPG IMG_2075.JPG IMG_2074.JPG
Pics are sort of hard to view as the lighting is very dark due to blue lighting. I see fin ray damage but also injury either mechanical or aggression.
What other fish are in the tank with this fish?
Based on soreness on tail area, i suggest treating in a separate tank with use of Seachem kanaplex with a focus on water quality and even addition of aeration via air stone

OP
OP
J

JoeyTurnstile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fish in the tank (125) are 2 clown fish, and 1 yellow tang. The tangs really stick together on one side, and the clowns on the other. I have not seen any aggression.

Good point on the lighting, here are some additional pictures with better lighting, sorry about that.

Attachments

• IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 11

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The other fish in the tank (125) are 2 clown fish, and 1 yellow tang. The tangs really stick together on one side, and the clowns on the other. I have not seen any aggression.

Good point on the lighting, here are some additional pictures with better lighting, sorry about that.
I agree with @vetteguy53081 this seems like a significant injury - with likely infection. Often aggression can occur in seconds, and may not be visible when you're watching the tank. One thing you can do is set up a camera to watch from afar. Curious - did you QT the fish before adding - or use any other medications? How big is the tang (size)

OP
OP
J

JoeyTurnstile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue tang is about 2 inches, and the yellow tang is roughly 3 inches. Both are juveniles. They were purchased and added to the tank at the same time.

I did not QT the fish before adding, and I did not use any medications. The tank is fairly new, it's been up since December. The clowns got added first, then the tangs.

OP
OP
J

JoeyTurnstile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any suggestions on what I can do to stop the yellow tang from messing with the blue tang? I have a mirror up now, and the yellow is fully distracted, but I have a feeling once I take it down, it will be right back after the blue? Can I add anything else to the tank to distract the yellow tang? The blue tang just continues to hangout wherever the yellow tang is, even though it's getting beat-up.....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I echo the others - this looks like an injury with possible secondary infection. A tank divider would be an option to keep this fish isolated from the other fish. Fighting is often missed because while you are trying to watch them, they stop fighting to watch you.
This is not a nutritional issue…..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back