Blue Hippo Tang Lump

azorean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been researching this for two weeks now, my Blue hippo tang has developed a lump area on one side of its body, is having difficulty swimming, but eating fine. Local fish store is guessing internal parasite or bacteria or worse case some sort of tumor. I have not QT the fish yet, none of the other fish in my reef tank are affected. I bought this fish just a month ago and there was no sign of disease initially. Anyone ever see anything like this before? IMG_0068.png

Attachments

• IMG_0056.mov
    28 MB
  • IMG_0019.mov
    62 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be bacterial but may also be associated with an internal infection
Beast treatment in a separate tank would be seachem kanaplex which is easily absorbed by fish internally and externally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been researching this for two weeks now, my Blue hippo tang has developed a lump area on one side of its body, is having difficulty swimming, but eating fine. Local fish store is guessing internal parasite or bacteria or worse case some sort of tumor. I have not QT the fish yet, none of the other fish in my reef tank are affected. I bought this fish just a month ago and there was no sign of disease initially. Anyone ever see anything like this before? IMG_0068.png

I can't tell you exactly what that is, but it isn't from a parasite. It could be bacterial. It could also be a tumor, but with that, you would have seen it grow gradually, over weeks to months.

Jay

Magicsoftimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m am so sorry! How long were the bumps there for? Were you trying any treatment in particular?
It has been there for 2 weeks and came and go all the time. I thought it was due to the fish eating too much. Didn’t treat for anything. However, I noticed that the mouth turned to white a couple of days ago so it could be bacterial infection. The another thing I noticed was I deeply cleaned algae a day ago before it died which made water so cloudy. I don’t know if this would cause any issue but a few people suggested that algae shouldn’t cause death.

OP
OP
A

azorean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our blue hippo passed. Her mouth / face area turned white, she was looking very skeletal within the last day or so - but only on the same ONE side of her body where the lumps were. The opposite side was full and brightly colored. I tried convincing my husband to splice the lumpy area after she passed but he refused. Towards the end she was unable to swim at all. We did QT her and had been treating with Kanaplex and Copper but it didn’t make a difference. Guess we’ll never know what the true disease was, but seems more like a blockage or tumor of some sort.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back