Blue Hippo Tango skin issue

paulmlloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, unfortunately my Blue Hippo Tang has an issue around his mount. I was Googling different forums and initially thought it was a discolouration from not having enough "greens", as previously it was just a white patch above his mouth . This morning it appears to have broken out into an open wound. I am hoping it is just a scratch or something (he sleeps every night behind some rocks) but am worried it is much worse (am literally distraught about this!). I have attaached photos here, and am reading different things when I go through the forums, so can't work out the exact issue. Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank that can be used, so hopefully there is a treatment someone can recommend.

If it helps, I've done a test recently and realised my Silica and Calcium levels are dangerously high. So it might be that it is somehow caused by stress.

Thank you in advance for any help!!

1.JPG 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, unfortunately my Blue Hippo Tang has an issue around his mount. I was Googling different forums and initially thought it was a discolouration from not having enough "greens", as previously it was just a white patch above his mouth . This morning it appears to have broken out into an open wound. I am hoping it is just a scratch or something (he sleeps every night behind some rocks) but am worried it is much worse (am literally distraught about this!). I have attaached photos here, and am reading different things when I go through the forums, so can't work out the exact issue. Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank that can be used, so hopefully there is a treatment someone can recommend.

If it helps, I've done a test recently and realised my Silica and Calcium levels are dangerously high. So it might be that it is somehow caused by stress.

Thank you in advance for any help!!

1.JPG 2.jpg 3.jpg
Welcome to Teef2Reef!

The fish seems to have two different lesions - the ones above each eye are head and lateral line erosion. This is caused by carbon use and sometimes poor diet.
The red coloration of the lesion on the snout is different - that could be a bacterial infection. How long have you had the fish and howling has it had this lesion? Do you have a treatment tank available?
Jay

OP
OP
P

paulmlloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the reply Jay. I had a young kid about a year ago and have admittedly been a little lazy with feeding them Nori, so have mainly just done flakes and algae pellets. The tang seemed happy enough but I will start doing Nori more often to improve the diet if this could cause the issue.

I use Red Sea Reef Spec Carbon and replace it every couple of months, which is what the pot of it recommends.

I have had the fish probably about 3 years, maybe a bit longer, and the tank 4 years. It's had discolouration above its mouth for a little bit but definitely not as drastic as in these photos. I previously thought it was just a natural discolouration. This morning it now appears very sore and red, and the skin has definitely come away. Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank that I can move it into, and I also have coral and invertebrates, so any medicine would need to be safe for my other fish, coral and invertebrates.

I've just ordered a replacement DD-39W UV bulb to try and help buffer the water. I have also dropped my Triton 2 formula to try and lower the calcium levels (in case this has somehow added to the stress) and I've also put extra Rowaphos in and changed it more than I normally would in case the high Silica levels have caused the issue. Other than that, I have a skimmer, plenty of bio-media and floss as my "cleaners". I've not really done anything different recently that I can think of would cause the lesion to become so much worse over-night.

Any suggestions really are greatly appreciated! It's so sad when your fish get ill / infections ...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the reply Jay. I had a young kid about a year ago and have admittedly been a little lazy with feeding them Nori, so have mainly just done flakes and algae pellets. The tang seemed happy enough but I will start doing Nori more often to improve the diet if this could cause the issue.

I use Red Sea Reef Spec Carbon and replace it every couple of months, which is what the pot of it recommends.

I have had the fish probably about 3 years, maybe a bit longer, and the tank 4 years. It's had discolouration above its mouth for a little bit but definitely not as drastic as in these photos. I previously thought it was just a natural discolouration. This morning it now appears very sore and red, and the skin has definitely come away. Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank that I can move it into, and I also have coral and invertebrates, so any medicine would need to be safe for my other fish, coral and invertebrates.

I've just ordered a replacement DD-39W UV bulb to try and help buffer the water. I have also dropped my Triton 2 formula to try and lower the calcium levels (in case this has somehow added to the stress) and I've also put extra Rowaphos in and changed it more than I normally would in case the high Silica levels have caused the issue. Other than that, I have a skimmer, plenty of bio-media and floss as my "cleaners". I've not really done anything different recently that I can think of would cause the lesion to become so much worse over-night.

Any suggestions really are greatly appreciated! It's so sad when your fish get ill / infections ...
That additional information holds an important key - that the lesion on its mouth has been there, but more recently turned red. That to me means that lesion is also HLLE but that it has gotten irritated or infected. If it is the latter, there is not a good treatment that can be used in a display tank, and if you are in the UK, you may have difficulty getting antibiotics.
I don’t think the water quality is the primary issue here, but perhaps it is causing irritation to the open lesion? UV won’t hurt, but it also won’t help in cases like this.
Jay

OP
OP
P

paulmlloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That additional information holds an important key - that the lesion on its mouth has been there, but more recently turned red. That to me means that lesion is also HLLE but that it has gotten irritated or infected. If it is the latter, there is not a good treatment that can be used in a display tank, and if you are in the UK, you may have difficulty getting antibiotics.
I don’t think the water quality is the primary issue here, but perhaps it is causing irritation to the open lesion? UV won’t hurt, but it also won’t help in cases like this.
Jay
Thanks again, Jay. Really appreciate your help. That all makes sense and they have had those lesions a while (I must admit I didn't realise they were lesions and thought they were just strange patterns or pigment issues). I'll improve the water quality but other than that, without a quarantine tank, it sounds like you're not aware of any anti-biotics that can go in a display tank to treat head and lateral line erosion disease? I'll keep Googling and searching forums to see if I can find anything UK based that is display tank friendly.

Do you happen to know whether this is the sort of thing the fish could recover from?

https://www.hackersreef.com/hlle-head-lateral-line-erosion-treatment/

It appears from this article that HLLE isn't contagious, and I just need to improve the water, and feed vitamin enriched nori more, and that may resolve the issue.

It also sounds like it's the infection that could cause an issue here and be fatal to the fish, so I'll definitely be searching for anti-biotics :(

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some Selcon and SFB Frozen food Variety pack. Keep the Selcon in the Refrigerator, once opened. Five to seven drops of Selcon on a cube of food, let it soak in while thawing. Feed your fish, including the Tang this. I only feed the Selcon every two to four days, as Selcon is a Fat Based Vitamin Formula. There is a question, that it can cause fatty liver disease. On off days I feed the Emerald Cube, or Sea Veggies. BTW I have a Rescued Yellow Tang, and the HLLE is barely noticeable. This is not an overnight cure, as it’s been 5-1/2 months of treatment.

OP
OP
P

paulmlloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
I've read online that Melafix is DT safe and readily available in the UK. Have you happened to have used this before?

OP
OP
P

paulmlloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some Selcon and SFB Frozen food Variety pack. Keep the Selcon in the Refrigerator, once opened. Five to seven drops of Selcon on a cube of food, let it soak in while thawing. Feed your fish, including the Tang this. I only feed the Selcon every two to four days, as Selcon is a Fat Based Vitamin Formula. There is a question, that it can cause fatty liver disease. On off days I feed the Emerald Cube, or Sea Veggies. BTW I have a Rescued Yellow Tang, and the HLLE is barely noticeable. This is not an overnight cure, as it’s been 5-1/2 months of treatment.
Thank you! I will try that. Currently I have a bottle of Aquaforest Fish V that I put a couple of drops onto the Nori before feeding. Hopefully this will work and it doesn't die from the infection first!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again, Jay. Really appreciate your help. That all makes sense and they have had those lesions a while (I must admit I didn't realise they were lesions and thought they were just strange patterns or pigment issues). I'll improve the water quality but other than that, without a quarantine tank, it sounds like you're not aware of any anti-biotics that can go in a display tank to treat head and lateral line erosion disease? I'll keep Googling and searching forums to see if I can find anything UK based that is display tank friendly.

Do you happen to know whether this is the sort of thing the fish could recover from?

https://www.hackersreef.com/hlle-head-lateral-line-erosion-treatment/

It appears from this article that HLLE isn't contagious, and I just need to improve the water, and feed vitamin enriched nori more, and that may resolve the issue.

It also sounds like it's the infection that could cause an issue here and be fatal to the fish, so I'll definitely be searching for anti-biotics :(
I’m at a conference and am running out the door, but here is a link to my article on HLLE hat is based on my 2011 paper:

Jay

OP
OP
P

paulmlloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at a conference and am running out the door, but here is a link to my article on HLLE hat is based on my 2011 paper:

Jay
Thanks again for your help, Jay. I managed to find some anti-biotics that did the trick and have put a load of vitamins and nori back into his diet, and he (touch all the wood I can find) seems to have recovered! Unfortunately a number of corals (zoas in particular) have taken a hit but I was more concerned about my fish anyway! Thanks again - greatly appreciated.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back