Blue Jaw Trigger acting sick

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came home and noticed that my sump socks were overflowing. I had just bought new ones and forgot to rinse them and switched them out before rinsing them. As soon as I put them in my skimmer went crazy and has been doing so for 4 days. No idea why. My question is, my trigger is acting very weird since and hiding under a rock for 5 days straight now, is she ok? Is it possible she is pregnant since there is a male in the tank with her? She has not eaten since.

I did add new carbon and did a 30 gallon change on a 150 gallon system.

Thanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long have you had her? What was the last wet thing you added to the tank?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what was the last wet thing you added to the tank and when? Fish, invert, coral ect.??

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a blue face angel. My purple tang killed it over night. That was 10 days ago and I did a 30 gallon water change after that as well. No visible signs of anything on her exterior. She does look a bit bloated. All other fish are fine. Sorry, misunderstood question.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a blue face angel. My purple tang killed it over night. That was 10 days ago and I did a 30 gallon water change after that as well. No visible signs of anything on her exterior. She does look a bit bloated. All other fish are fine. Sorry, misunderstood question.

Are you sure the purple tang killed the angel? Were any of these fish qt'd?

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure who killed the angel. The only one nipping at him was the purple tang. Then around 5 am I saw my harry knuckle crab eating him.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No visible signs of anything on her exterior. She does look a bit bloated

OK. So is she breathing heavy? has she been eating for you at all? Sorry for all the questions... just trying to narrow down the possibilities. I'm going to call in @eatbreakfast @evolved about the possible pregnancy of the trigger. I'm not sure if they spawn in captivity at all or how that works.

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No heavy breathing and not eating at all. She does switch from laying on her side to upright, but very controlled, not floating as if dying. She also can and will move if forces.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; I believe triggers are egg layers. Most build nests, some scatter their eggs; so if the former is true I would expect them to be aggressively defending one spot in the tank.

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. My female has not touched any food in 6 days or so. She does not seem thin or tired. She is still staying in the cave where she is most comfortable. She swims out for 3 to 5 seconds and goes back in. Her swimming is controlled and there are no signs of anything besides she is not swimming normally out and about as she used to.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try this again. @eatbreakfast we could use some insight into the behaviors of triggers if you could please :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks melypr1985! I will just keep providing updates as I see changes.

Remember to watch for any symptoms that I can help with. Dusty or dirty appearance, heavy breathing, swimming into the flow of a powerhead ect.

OP
OP
BMMMW

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current update. She switched sides of the tank yesterday. Male didnt like that at all. She is back to her original cave and now eating again after a week. Any new ideas?
20161216_153436.jpg
20161216_153430.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back