Blue legged hermit crab too large for shell

k_1

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2021
Messages
33
Reaction score
10
Location
Austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a 3 year old blue legged hermit crab that has outlived its fellow buddies and grown quite large. I went to my local fish store and they have been giving me extra turbo snail shells for him, but for the past couple of months I haven’t been able to find a shell big enough for him anymore. I have resorted to searching beaches, looking online, and constantly asking my lfs. I was going to buy online, but most shells are painted or coated for land hermit crabs. Does anyone happen to know where my best bets are on finding a large enough shell for him? The one he is currently in is about 3 inches across. Pictures don’t really do him justice, but I attached one below.

IMG_1340.jpeg
 
Hello! I have a 3 year old blue legged hermit crab that has outlived its fellow buddies and grown quite large. I went to my local fish store and they have been giving me extra turbo snail shells for him, but for the past couple of months I haven’t been able to find a shell big enough for him anymore. I have resorted to searching beaches, looking online, and constantly asking my lfs. I was going to buy online, but most shells are painted or coated for land hermit crabs. Does anyone happen to know where my best bets are on finding a large enough shell for him? The one he is currently in is about 3 inches across. Pictures don’t really do him justice, but I attached one below.

IMG_1340.jpeg
Hi, I'm in Austin as well. Do you shop at Austin Aqua-Dome off of Ben White Blvd? Upstairs they have a few bins of shells. Hunter up there will help you out. I am having a hard time finding shells for my tiny guys and when I do find them they disappear into the den with my goby and pistol shrimp never to be seen again.

I was in PetSmart one day buying dog food and I cut down one of the aisles in the fish/reptile area and saw a bag of shells for about $6 that had a nice assortment of sizes but for me right now they are too large.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new