Blue Sapphire Damsel for 25 gallon tank

elongate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they aggressive at all?
Can they work in a 25 gallon tank?
If so can I keep more than one in the tank?
I appreciate any advice. They look beautiful.

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a damsel expect aggression, specially such a small tank. What will his tank mates be? Could prob hold up against a pair of clowns.

U

User1

View Badges
Are they aggressive at all?
Can they work in a 25 gallon tank?
If so can I keep more than one in the tank?
I appreciate any advice. They look beautiful.

They are a pretty fish. Hardy. Splash of speed with a lot of color. Chrysiptera Damselfish are typically considered more peaceful when compared to others. Azures, Talbots, and others that make up the Chrysiptera genus are what most hobbyists in reef tanks choose. I personally have never owned a Sapphire so can't really speak to it. I've owned Talbots in a 29 gallon bio cube. I've owned Azures and Talbots in a 40 breeder. All got along well.

I think the key for your tank is the size first. 25 gallons. Now factor in substrate, rock, coral size today, coral size tomorrow, and now estimate how much water volume you have left and go from there. Damsels do not need a lot of space per say so technically "it" could work.

However, they are a bit aggressive and territorial. The territory aggression would be my main concern. It will find a spot to retreat to should it become startled. It will find another spot to go to sleep. Sometimes they are not the same. It will now defend these spots. So therein lies my concern. 25 gallons there isn't going to be a lot.

So lastly what other fish are you planning? It could work but do the same thought process as above with the list. What are their needs, space, etc.

OP
OP
elongate

elongate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a pretty fish. Hardy. Splash of speed with a lot of color. Chrysiptera Damselfish are typically considered more peaceful when compared to others. Azures, Talbots, and others that make up the Chrysiptera genus are what most hobbyists in reef tanks choose. I personally have never owned a Sapphire so can't really speak to it. I've owned Talbots in a 29 gallon bio cube. I've owned Azures and Talbots in a 40 breeder. All got along well.

I think the key for your tank is the size first. 25 gallons. Now factor in substrate, rock, coral size today, coral size tomorrow, and now estimate how much water volume you have left and go from there. Damsels do not need a lot of space per say so technically "it" could work.

However, they are a bit aggressive and territorial. The territory aggression would be my main concern. It will find a spot to retreat to should it become startled. It will find another spot to go to sleep. Sometimes they are not the same. It will now defend these spots. So therein lies my concern. 25 gallons there isn't going to be a lot.

So lastly what other fish are you planning? It could work but do the same thought process as above with the list. What are their needs, space, etc.

Always the same problem. Lol! Not enough room for the fish you want to exist together.
Possible tank mates- haven’t settled on fish stocking yet just doing my homework.

2 clowns
1 tailspot Blenny
1 elongate dottyback
2 orange spot prawn gobies with pistol shrimp

I’m looking for a nice addition that will be active with a beautiful color hence why I like this Damsel.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Always the same problem. Lol! Not enough room for the fish you want to exist together.
Possible tank mates- haven’t settled on fish stocking yet just doing my homework.

2 clowns
1 tailspot Blenny
1 elongate dottyback
2 orange spot prawn gobies with pistol shrimp

I’m looking for a nice addition that will be active and beautiful color hence why I like this Damsel.

Yup - welcome to the club. Honestly, it is a good problem to have because it means you care about them and treat them like a pet rather than a commodity :). The blenny isn't going to cause any issues. The Elongated dottyback shouldn't either. I believe it is one of the more peaceful ones. I've never owned one but that is what I recall reading.

That leaves the clowns. Again, the issue is the size of the tank :). Clowns shouldn't be a issue unless you buy the more aggressive ones. Something like captive raised from ORA true percula or false would probably work.

Since you mentioned clowns that is leading me to believe you may add a bubble tip anemones down the road. Please note that they can have a pretty wide spread as they age tip to tip and also split. That will take up swimming room. Just a FYI.

OP
OP
elongate

elongate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - welcome to the club. Honestly, it is a good problem to have because it means you care about them and treat them like a pet rather than a commodity :). The blenny isn't going to cause any issues. The Elongated dottyback shouldn't either. I believe it is one of the more peaceful ones. I've never owned one but that is what I recall reading.

That leaves the clowns. Again, the issue is the size of the tank :). Clowns shouldn't be a issue unless you buy the more aggressive ones. Something like captive raised from ORA true percula or false would probably work.

Since you mentioned clowns that is leading me to believe you may add a bubble tip anemones down the road. Please note that they can have a pretty wide spread as they age tip to tip and also split. That will take up swimming room. Just a FYI.

Anemones are a thought of mine but I really like Euphyllia corals , Duncans, and Elegance corals. So the clown will have plenty of options.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back