Incorporating fish with Damsels

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

I was wondering how to introduce other fish to a tank with damsels. I understand they are incredibly territorial and will pick at other fish until the point of stress where said target fish can die. However, in my current 32 gallon Biocube I have two Mocha clowns who are both bonded to each other and to the green tip anemone in the tank. Neither clown are bothered by the damsels. Along with them is one black damsel who is the most dominant fish in the tank, and two yellow-tail damsels. All seem to be acceptive of their hierarchy in the tank with the clowns being undisturbed by the damsels.

I have one lawnmower blenny who isn’t bullied by any fish as well. However I would like to add a purple dottyback as well as a watchman goby and pistol shrimp. What should I expect if I do so? Would the damsels be passive towards the new fish as they were with my clowns? Or would the damsels kill the dottyback and goby?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its great you got your current residents to live peacefully together, and personally I think 6 fish in a 32 gallon is a fully stocked tank, and I think that 8 fish would be overstocked. You risk aggression and disease and the water quality will suffer will such huge bioload, not to mention you might disturb the 'hierarchy' and cause aggression where there was none before.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its great you got your current residents to live peacefully together, and personally I think 6 fish in a 32 gallon is a fully stocked tank, and I think that 8 fish would be overstocked. You risk aggression and disease and the water quality will suffer will such huge bioload, not to mention you might disturb the 'hierarchy' and cause aggression where there was none before.
Yeah if that is the case I may bring my damsels back in for store credit. I’ve had them half a year and I love them, but I know they can be meaner than any other fish in their size range.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back