Blue Spotted Jawfish - hoarding snails?

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the TV show Hoarders, but apparently it is only for humans, and I "need some mental health care" and "to stop clogging their telephone lines" according to the producers.

As I slowly stock my reefs, last week I added a blue-spotted jawfish (super sexy fish IMO) and he/she is doing well. Spent the first few days building a fortress of sanditude, etc, typical jawfish stuff.

Now, the past 2 days, I have witnessesed the fish grabbing a few snails and dragging them into the den. He/She doesn't kill them, or hurt them, just Buffalo Bill's them into his lair. I swear I heard "it puts the lotion on its scales or esle it gets the hose again" coming from the tank.

I had a yellow-head jawfish before and don't remember this happening. Anyone else have a similar experience?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till he grabs your $100 Acan frag to help him build his den. Bluespots are so much stronger than yellow heads.
BSJF Flashing male (2).jpg

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red devil jawfish does that. Grabs shells from dead and alive snails. Turned an astrea snail shell upside down and uses it as the door. Closes his door everyday

OP
OP
LightingBug

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me want a jawfish even more!!
For sure, it is definately a cool thing.

The first time it happened I thought it was an accident, it was during the "construction" stage of his den, but it's happened a few times today.

I think it is some kind of territory thing because I have noticed, just like an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn, he only grabs the snails that pass near the area. He swoops out, snatches the invader, and drags it into the lair, to an area I cannot see. A few minutes later I see the snail coming out.

I like to think he has a tiny fish baseball bat in the cave and gives them the business.

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the TV show Hoarders, but apparently it is only for humans, and I "need some mental health care" and "to stop clogging their telephone lines" according to the producers.

As I slowly stock my reefs, last week I added a blue-spotted jawfish (super sexy fish IMO) and he/she is doing well. Spent the first few days building a fortress of sanditude, etc, typical jawfish stuff.

Now, the past 2 days, I have witnessesed the fish grabbing a few snails and dragging them into the den. He/She doesn't kill them, or hurt them, just Buffalo Bill's them into his lair. I swear I heard "it puts the lotion on its scales or esle it gets the hose again" coming from the tank.

I had a yellow-head jawfish before and don't remember this happening. Anyone else have a similar experience?
How To Care For Blue Spotted Jaw Fish (The Story of William )

Mine does this all the time! even more frustrating when it’s your prized coral frags. These guys are a hoot!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back