blue throat trigger stopped eating....

skullbaby1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male blue throat which has been eating like a pig for the last month that I've had him.....and literally stopped eating and started hiding all within one day. Basically one day fine and the next.....quit eating and started hiding. He doesn't seemed to be bullied.....and none have this happen?

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need to check all water parameters

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds remarkably like velvet. Some strains show now outward or obvious symptoms as you describe. If parameters are not out of whack I would do freshwater dip and then qt in cp or copper.

@Humblefish agree?

Any other symptoms? Twitching head? Swimming in to powerheads? Avoiding light? Spots? Heaving breathing?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reclusive behavior is a symptom of velvet, but we need more than that to confirm diagnosis. In addition to the questions @4FordFamily asked above, when was the last fish (or any livestock) added to this tank? Also, do you QT?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reclusive behavior is a symptom of velvet, but we need more than that to confirm diagnosis. In addition to the questions @4FordFamily asked above, when was the last fish (or any livestock) added to this tank? Also, do you QT?
I asked those two things! Geez! :D

Edit: I stand corrected that edit never made it. Carry on lol

OP
OP
S

skullbaby1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for the replies guys!.....I've added no fish since I've got him. I purchased a k ole tang,yellow tang,coral beauty and a pair of clowns the day after Thanksgiving and added them all at the same time. I did not qt them as the lfs I buy from qt's and runs a small dose of copper in their tanks.....I know it may not be a proper amount of time for qt at the store but never had issues. The trigger has been a hog since day 1,never hiding and eating everything in sight. All other fish are doing well

OP
OP
S

skullbaby1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also purchased the trigger the day after Thanksgiving as well....added all fish the same day

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also purchased the trigger the day after Thanksgiving as well....added all fish the same day

The timeline probably rules out velvet & brook. But not ich & flukes. Any corals/inverts added since the day after Thanksgiving?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for what it's worth the procedure at your LFS will not help you avoid parasites in the slightest, unfortunately :/

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back