Blue Throat Triggerfish temporary in a 60g?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to buy a small blue throated triggerfish, could I keep it for a year in my 60g to grow it out for someone else's tank?
I have 2 ocellaris clownfish
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 diamond watchman goby
A couple lps frags
Will it eat the tiny blue legged hermits?
What about my larger emerald crabs or snails?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't.

They aren't terribly fast growers, in my experience. It seems like the only size I see them for sale is about 4" already, however.

Your snails, hermit, and emerald crabs will more than likely be fine. These fish are plankton eaters.

Catching one won't be fun. They can really wedge themselves into a rock...something else to consider.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my favorite fish especially the males. They are shy at first but after time they come out and eat like champs. As said above the do grow so i would not try one in your tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not a good idea, I've been trying to give my pair away for 2 years, the catch is they have to catch them. In a 210 with 200lbs of rock, no one wants to tear down the tank to catch them. I also dont think these fish need a grow out tank, they are already inexpensive at a decent size, and they do grow slow.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't.

They aren't terribly fast growers, in my experience. It seems like the only size I see them for sale is about 4" already, however.

Your snails, hermit, and emerald crabs will more than likely be fine. These fish are plankton eaters.

Catching one won't be fun. They can really wedge themselves into a rock...something else to consider.
Any other recommendations because I would like to try out a 1 year qt/conditioning period vs fish just put into a larger tank experiment these fish will be going to a tank already set up by someone else whenever they are ready any other
ideas?

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my favorite fish especially the males. They are shy at first but after time they come out and eat like champs. As said above the do grow so i would not try one in your tank.

Yeah not a good idea, I've been trying to give my pair away for 2 years, the catch is they have to catch them. In a 210 with 200lbs of rock, no one wants to tear down the tank to catch them. I also dont think these fish need a grow out tank, they are already inexpensive at a decent size, and they do grow slow.
I'd recommend against it because they swim a LOT. My 150 cube seemed to small for the little one I had.
Any other recommendations?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had luck finding their sleeping rock and removing it quickly at night placing into a water parameter ready smaller aquarium. Then it's a lot easier catching them with only one rock left.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other recommendations because I would like to try out a 1 year qt/conditioning period vs fish just put into a larger tank experiment these fish will be going to a tank already set up by someone else whenever they are ready any other
ideas?

you want to get a fish that you can QT/condition for a year and then go into someone elses bigger tank? is this a specific friend of yours or you just generally want to get a fish which has an adult size larger than your tank can house?

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want to get a fish that you can QT/condition for a year and then go into someone elses bigger tank? is this a specific friend of yours or you just generally want to get a fish which has an adult size larger than your tank can house?
Specific friend wants a fish that can go in a bit larger almost show size as a dominant fish

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another no vote since they can still be a gamble in reefs and it doesn't sound like you have a very good backup plan if it doesn't work out.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another no vote since they can still be a gamble in reefs and it doesn't sound like you have a very good backup plan if it doesn't work out.
A friend has room in a display tank that is ready but just needs a conditioned specimen??? Why is that not a good backup plan?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specific friend wants a fish that can go in a bit larger almost show size as a dominant fish

What size tank does your friend have, a 60g will only be ok for a smaller blue throat maybe 3-4" for a year, at that he would need a new home. A blue throat would not be show size for years, I got mine at about 4.5" and 5 years later they are are just over 7". They really don't get much larger than about 8" in captivity so imo, just get a 6" one. Not sure what you mean by conditioned specimen, blue throats are pretty easy fish. If you talking qt'd, it sounds like you were putting them in a tank with other fish.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of fish does your friend have? i'm not sure a blue throat would even be all that 'dominant' my lfs loves those fish but he's always telling me how hilariously timid they are

it might be prudent to ask your friend what fish he wants

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank does your friend have, a 60g will only be ok for a smaller blue throat maybe 3-4" for a year, at that he would need a new home. A blue throat would not be show size for years, I got mine at about 4.5" and 5 years later they are are just over 7". They really don't get much larger than about 8" in captivity so imo, just get a 6" one. Not sure what you mean by conditioned specimen, blue throats are pretty easy fish. If you talking qt'd, it sounds like you were putting them in a tank with other fish.
He has a 125 but I like to fatten up zooplankton feeders before giving it to him. It will be in my 60g for a while because the smaller ones are much healthier in our area.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of fish does your friend have? i'm not sure a blue throat would even be all that 'dominant' my lfs loves those fish but he's always telling me how hilariously timid they are

it might be prudent to ask your friend what fish he wants
Mostly peaceful stuff but he struggles with any fish that has the zooplankton feeder label which is why I want to keep one for 6 months to a year before he gets it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think you are making it over complicated for a blue throat. They are shy but seem to readily accept most aquarium foods pretty quickly. I've never known anyone having problems feeding blue throats unless they were suffering from internal parasites. Which is why a qt would be a better route, observed or treated for parasites for a month and then into the dt.

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to buy a small blue throated triggerfish, could I keep it for a year in my 60g to grow it out for someone else's tank?
I have 2 ocellaris clownfish
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 diamond watchman goby
A couple lps frags
Will it eat the tiny blue legged hermits?
What about my larger emerald crabs or snails?
He will be fine with clownfish. Prob eat hermits. I have one with clowns now but in a 90 gallon. In my experience they are model citizens. Prob need at least a 75gallon

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back