Blue Tort Spawning

  • Thread starter Thread starter -Logzor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
2,563
Reaction score
324
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I have observed corals spawning in my aquarium. Perhaps this was caused by the Blood Moon last night!

The colony is at least 18" x 12". Should have video to upload tomorrow.

2bbe5a978648e89028aa11f2e71aefd3.jpg


8a471e321973d43cfeee1659afe1953f.jpg
 
Amazing.
Do share the video please. Any other Accros spawned as well or was it only this one?
 
thats awesome! i would assume that relates to healthy coral and a good running system .
 
Thanks everyone! I need to do some editing on the video so hopefully I can get to that today.

I went downstairs to the basement kegerator to get a beer and saw all these bits floating around in the aquarium. I don't have any sand so I knew it wasn't something being stirred up. The particle in the water (sperm/eggs) were very buoyant and the fish were going nuts! I started to inspect all my acropora thinking it could be a spawning event.

The only coral spawning was the blue tort colony. My understanding is that acropora have to be relatively large colonies in order to spawn. I'm sure a healthy system and solid water parameters helps to. Spawning is not a random event and the sperm and eggs build up for weeks ahead of the event.

I think the recent moon cycle triggered the event. It being a "super moon" and closer to the Earth, I think it's possible that it initiated the spawning whereas other lunar events would probably have not. Who knows!
 
I tried to edit this in Premier Pro to color balance since the blues were blown out. I haven't really used the software much though. Should be in 1080p. Let me know how it turned out or if you have any video editing tricks you can pass on. I have another angle I'll upload later.

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new