Blue Velvet Damsel Question

SaraJames

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2026
Messages
79
Reaction score
54
Location
Wilmington
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 75 gallon tank with corral.

In it I have four Yellow-tail blue damselfish, 1 Coral beauty angel, 1 hawkfish, 1 blue velvet damsel and 1 yellow tail clownfish . I also have some crabs and snails for a cleanup crew.

1st two of the smallest yellow tail blue damselfish started looking beaten up so I moved them into a quarantine space to heal. They did fine and are back to normal. When I was debating releasing them back into the tank I noticed the blue velvet damsel was missing half of his tail. So now he is in quarantine while his fins heal.

Here is my question I also have a 20 gallon tank that houses two small ocellaris clownfish and 1 file fish. Would I be able to add the blue velvet damsel? He is larger than the clowns and when he was in my 75 gallon he was very submissive to the yellow tail clownfish and the Coral Beauty angel. BUT both the clownfish and the angel were much larger than him.
 
Clowns and Damsels are close cousins, they are all territorial once sexually mature.

All you can do is first change up the scape, introduce at night and or use a breeder box.

Long term I don't think 2 clowns and a damsel will work.
 
The blue velvet damsel is currently in a breeder box in the 75 gallon tank. Thanks for the info. I didn’t think it would work but thought I should ask.
 
A velvet blue damsel is going to lose the blue and become the ugliest fish in the tank lol I’ve had one for 11 years. He’s now about 6 inches big. He’s the most docile creature I have, never picked on anyone including the small clowns and unfortunately he is picked on by my 8 inch fox face fish. They are in 120 gallon tall tank. I don’t know if velvet damsels are more passive just by nature, but he clearly doesn’t have the reputation that the Damsel family has. I can tell you he’s going to get big
20261004_202340_AFB04534-CBBA-4F16-A4F1-FA832A89E11C.png

That’s him on the right
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new