BOBBIT WORM HELP!!!

Jlroc23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am freaking out just saw a very small bobit worm . Please tell me this one is harmless?
There are 353 confirmed species of Eunice worms with probably dozens more that have yet to be cataloged. Some Eunice worms can be identified by appearance but like @Lionfish Lair said, most can only be properly identified in a lab. Even the creator of the term "bobbit worm" could not get a positive identification on his worm even with the sample and with the involvement of the Smithsonian Institutes lab.
@Jd120988 you gave a pretty good description of what you saw, the "white band" was key. Without seeing it in person my best guess would be that it is a Eunice longisetis. Red body, iridescence, and white band. Next time you see it check to see if 5 antenna structures are beaded, and not simply banded, if so then I think this would be the correct ID and I wouldn't be worried about having it in your tank, he is a scavenger and detritivore. They are strikingly beautiful. This species can grow up to 16" though. They live in rock-work, not in sand and definitely do NOT cut fish in half like other members of the genus can. Enjoy him, he is just another beautiful member of your tank.
We study these guys a lot and have an article all about Eunice Worms but I'm unsure about posting outside links here. If you do get to snap a photo of him I'm sure it would help in positively identifying him. Hope this helps somewhat.

IMG_20190522_214834_95.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def a bobbit and i dont consider them reef safe. Best for a speciman only tank or refugium.

Jlroc23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Had others say dorvilleidae worm. Hopefully that is what it is

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this topic! Here is a picture of my bobbit worm. He came in as a baby on some Florida live rock and grew to almost 2 ft long. He lived in my main display for about 3-4 years, creating a network of tunnels through the sand. He would come up and eat macro algae of all kinds. Never hurt a fish or coral. He would grab a chunk of algae and pull it back into his tunnel to feast. Iridescent rainbow colors. Beautiful and fun!

upload_2019-5-23_11-34-59.png

Mikey0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 353 confirmed species of Eunice worms with probably dozens more that have yet to be cataloged. Some Eunice worms can be identified by appearance but like @Lionfish Lair said, most can only be properly identified in a lab. Even the creator of the term "bobbit worm" could not get a positive identification on his worm even with the sample and with the involvement of the Smithsonian Institutes lab.
@Jd120988 you gave a pretty good description of what you saw, the "white band" was key. Without seeing it in person my best guess would be that it is a Eunice longisetis. Red body, iridescence, and white band. Next time you see it check to see if 5 antenna structures are beaded, and not simply banded, if so then I think this would be the correct ID and I wouldn't be worried about having it in your tank, he is a scavenger and detritivore. They are strikingly beautiful. This species can grow up to 16" though. They live in rock-work, not in sand and definitely do NOT cut fish in half like other members of the genus can. Enjoy him, he is just another beautiful member of your tank.
We study these guys a lot and have an article all about Eunice Worms but I'm unsure about posting outside links here. If you do get to snap a photo of him I'm sure it would help in positively identifying him. Hope this helps somewhat.
Hey, would this be that species or is this different?
3DBED72F-90C2-477D-9822-9F7CB8629B3D.jpeg

410ED6F7-9FF5-4EFF-BE3F-8356901936A0.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey, would this be that species or is this different?
3DBED72F-90C2-477D-9822-9F7CB8629B3D.jpeg

410ED6F7-9FF5-4EFF-BE3F-8356901936A0.jpeg
Eunicid but basically same monster.
You can try a trap made from a 2 litre bottle and baited with shrimp

trap.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back