Found Bobbit Worm during frag search

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the night two zoa frags went missing. I suspect the were ripped off by a hermit, frag or snail. During my search for then I found this fella.

I restarted my tank 6 months ago and redid my rock scape with additional live rock. So he was introduced there I think. When I pulled him out he broke into several pieces but together it's around 15cm long. Still small for a Bobbit Worm but I guess with that rate of growth he would have reached one feet in a few more months. Hopefully I got all parts out.

Btw I found one of the frags I was looking for in a cave unharmed. The second is probably gone though. Maybe buried already by some digging snails or stuck in a crevice.

Last edited:

AlyciaMarie

Mrs. Gumbies R Us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you found the one frag at least! I can't see the video but bobbit worms are what nightmares are made of...

Steve Carell Ew GIF by Focus Features

OP
OP
Tavero

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be a rather large Dorvillidae worm. Are there 4 or 5 antennae, and do they stick straight out from the head or are they curved backwards?
4 antenna. They stick out sideways and to the front.

OP
OP
Tavero

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah,
But, could also be this monster
"This worm exudes a type of toxic paralyzing ooze both for attack and defense. "

The worm was extremely slimy when I pulled him out. The slime was so thick, smaller parts of the worm got stuck to the tweezers.
Now that I think about it, I lost a few Stomatella snails in the last month, but I thought they died of natural causes

OP
OP
Tavero

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read my post above. Not knowing the true identity, i wouldn't touch. That's no dorvilleidae.
Oh trust me, I would never touch it without tweezers. It also took the porcelain express already. I just hope that's the only one. It was a completely accidental find.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps time to call in the big guns on this one. Better to know for sure. @ISpeakForTheSeas @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal can you help with a positive ID on OP's worm?
In this case, I'm inclined to agree with Dorvilleid worm - it doesn't have the signature 5 tentacles or the right coloration for a bobbit or similar, and it has cephalic tentacles which eliminates Oenone fulgida or similar.

OP
OP
Tavero

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, I'm inclined to agree with Dorvilleid worm - it doesn't have the signature 5 tentacles or the right coloration for a bobbit or similar, and it has cephalic tentacles which eliminates Oenone fulgida or similar.
So...harmless in case there is another one i'm unable to find?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps time to call in the big guns on this one. Better to know for sure. @ISpeakForTheSeas @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal can you help with a positive ID on OP's worm?
While I greatly appreciate being put in the same category as @ISpeakForTheSeas , I'm more of a water pistol at best ;)
Most of the things I correctly identify are critters that he ID'd at one point - I'm just repeating the info :)
(But feel free to tag me - if nothing else, I can give a somewhat educated guess )

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I greatly appreciate being put in the same category as @ISpeakForTheSeas , I'm more of a water pistol at best ;)
Most of the things I correctly identify are critters that he ID'd at one point - I'm just repeating the info :)
(But feel free to tag me - if nothing else, I can give a somewhat educated guess )
Haha, you're better than you think you are, and I've found that I've still got a lot to learn!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back