OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding my ponies before I left to work I finally snapped a few pics not the best pics but they are happy little ones. And I know my glass need to be cleaned. Tomorrow is water change day so I will get some better pics

poines2.jpg

ponie.jpg

ponie2.jpg

ponies.jpg

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would update things are not going so good in the reef right now. Thanks to Hurricane Irma my power has been off the past 4 days. I have a bubbler in the tank but the temp are getting really high they were 82 today. So far the sea horses seem to be unaffected. I have also lowered there feeding to once every other day to keep waste down. They seem fine for now hunting pods. Just hope we get power back soon there food has thawed as is no longer any good (might be ok for today). I would take them to my lfs to hold but with the flood waters I cant get there. Corssing my fingers and hoping for the best at this point. So far everything seems to be fine but I dont know for how long.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bobman Oh no! I am so sorry. I guessing you have no access to ice? If you do, you can put some in ziplocks and float it in the tank. Of course it is a guessing game how much to put into each bag so the temperature doesn't reduce too quickly. Do you have any RODI? A water change might help. I also read stirring the tank water several times a day can help with keeping it oxygenated along with the bubbler. I wish I could help further!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes! Hope you get everything back in line quick! I hate these hurricanes...

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah me to no matter how much you prepare you just cant do so enough. Going on day 5 with no power. I did see people were starting to get power back in my area so hopefully soon. I did find some more batteries for the bubbler (thank god). I also did a water change which the ponies came out to see me. They gave me a look like daddy we dont want water we want food. Water got to 82 today. Amazingly they are just hanging in there relatively unaffected by any of this.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah me to no matter how much you prepare you just cant do so enough. Going on day 5 with no power. I did see people were starting to get power back in my area so hopefully soon. I did find some more batteries for the bubbler (thank god). I also did a water change which the ponies came out to see me. They gave me a look like daddy we dont want water we want food. Water got to 82 today. Amazingly they are just hanging in there relatively unaffected by any of this.
Seahorses can take warm water with out a problem. Its their mysis that can not. Pathogenic bacteria gets established much easier in temperatures over 74°. Any uneaten mysis can fuel dangerous bacteria and then get in the gut of your hungry seahorse. If you can get live ghost shrimp they could eat that more safely in a warm aquarium. Of course I understand that you are working what you have.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today is a great day. I got hold of another generator (mine was stolen) and about an hour after I got the tank hook up to it my power came back on (Thank God). No losses all is going to get back to normal. I will grab them some new food tomorrow and just glad this is finally coming to an end.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great news indeed bobman! I am so happy for you and your seahorses! I would plan to maybe do another WC as precautionary since DOC might be a little high from no equipment filtering while the power was off.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is my skimmer is going nuts. I will probably do a water change every few days for a week or so. I did a test last night didnt come out to bad (I expected worse) but the nitrates did climb a bit to 25 it was 10-15. But if thats all I have to deal with I will consider myself fortunate very fortunate.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back