Bonding clownfish

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, presumably I've got a female black and white clown. Had her for about a year and a half and she was a juvenile when I got her. I was thinking of trying to bond her with a male to form a bonded pair. Can I only bond her with a black and white? How hard is it to bond a clown with a clown who has been alone for over a year? How to do this?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as it's the same species, clowns will bond. IE: ocelaris x ocelaris, percula x percula, maroon x maroon... Colors don't matter. There are a few hybrids, like the percularis, which is an ocelaris x percula cross. I'm assuming you have a female black ocelaris clownfish. They can get quite territorial. I bought an already bonded black ocelaris pair, so I cant help with the process.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can switch sex from male to female. No guarantee that the fish you have is of one orientation or the other.

HOWEVER, if you were to add a clown of the same species, get one that is about 1/3 smaller than the one in your tank. Doing so will increase bonding compatibility (not necessarily mating), as the larger one will turn female if it's not already. Once it converts, it won't go back the other way....

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what @NanoCrazed said.

Clownfish are born nonsexual, neither male nor female. As they mature, the most dominant one becomes a female and the second most dominant one becomes male. All the rest stay nonsexual until the male or female dies. Then the next most dominant takes that role. If the female dies, the male can turn until a female and one of the nons can turn into a new male, or a non can turn into a female and the male stays. If the male dies the female can not turn back into a male, so one of the nons will turn into a new male.

I hope this information helps you.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what @NanoCrazed said.

Clownfish are born nonsexual, neither male nor female. As they mature, the most dominant one becomes a female and the second most dominant one becomes male. All the rest stay nonsexual until the male or female dies. Then the next most dominant takes that role. If the female dies, the male can turn until a female and one of the nons can turn into a new male, or a non can turn into a female and the male stays. If the male dies the female can not turn back into a male, so one of the nons will turn into a new male.

I hope this information helps you.
Now imagine if finding Nemo would have kept thing biologically accurate... lol

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now imagine if finding Nemo would have kept thing biologically accurate... lol
Nemo most likely would have turned into a female, since Marlin was such a wuss. What was his "son" is now his wife. Not a very Disney friendly movie. [emoji23][emoji23]

One thing the move got right, Dory when she says "Just keep swimming." That's all blue hippos do.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify the above, they go from juvenile sexless, to male, to female. The chain only goes one way, so a female can't turn back into a male and a male can't turn back into a juvenile (duh).

I think you're definitely on the right track assuming yours is a female. If you can find a fish store with more than a pair in the tank, grab the smallest one. I've done it twice now with great results.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a LFS near me with baby clowns. Less than 1"... I guarantee those are sexless. I've though about a pair for my nano, but I have to leave it fallow for a while due to velvet.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm just wondering how aggressive she will be to a new addition. Everything I reach into the tank I have to flick at her to keep her at bay, otherwise she is very territorial and will nip at me. Will she protect the newbie from my 6 line wrasse..? Would it be better to add a host anemone before trying this?

Last edited:

Hector Fajardo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a very territorial ocellaris that will nip at me, can I get another clownfish in the tank?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back