Boozeman's 525XL build

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Been on here for about 6 months lurking and posting occasionally while planning my build. First, a little background. I had 2 salt tanks (a 75 mixed reef and a 40 predator) about 12 years ago. Had those up for about 4 years or so. Got out of the hobby after not having much success. I realize now after doing 6 months of studying and research that I really didn't know diddly. I would buy things on looks and appeal alone, with no regard to proper habitat and compatibility. I was really under the guidance of an unscrupulous LFS that just told me what he needed to sell me. Pretty pathetic and glad is is long out of buisness. (As a matter of fact, when I got out I gave him all my equip to sell on consignment for me. He did sell it all but never gave me a penny!) So last winter my wife and I decided to finally finish our basement and that's when I got the bright idea for a new tank. As of today, I have fish in QT, have bought everything needed, have taken delivery of the tank, and am just finishing up the plumbing etc. I hope to have it wet in the next week!! Yea!!

Since I'm just now writing this I'm going to take you on a tour of the basement remodel and tank build leading up to today soooooo.....here we go!!!

Basement before finishing
download.png download (1).png
download (4).png download (7).png download (9).png

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the light hung but still no tank. I had to wait on the Reefer 525 because the decided to drill holes for the lights on the deluxe models and since I was taking off the black background film for a clear look, that was not going to work.
IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0320.JPG

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a list of the equipment I have for the tank. Let's see if I can get it all.

Red Sea Reefer 525XL
Nyos 160 skimmer
3 AquaMaxx reactors (1 is bio pellets, 1 for carbon org for, and the third I made into an Algea reactor)
2 Finnex 500 watt heaters
Vectra L1 return pump
Guiesemann Aurora 48" Led/T5 light
Neptune Apex 2016
Neptune FMM
Neptune WAV pumps 2x
Neptune leak sensors 2x
Neptune ATK (need a 10-15 gallon ato tank still)
Neptune DDR
Neptune DOS

150lbs of Marco dry rock
120lbs of TM Reef flakes substrate

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a list of the equipment I have for the tank. Let's see if I can get it all.

Red Sea Reefer 525XL
Nyos 160 skimmer
3 AquaMaxx reactors (1 is bio pellets, 1 for carbon org for, and the third I made into an Algea reactor)
2 Finnex 500 watt heaters
Vectra L1 return pump
Guiesemann Aurora 48" Led/T5 light
Neptune Apex 2016
Neptune FMM
Neptune WAV pumps 2x
Neptune leak sensors 2x
Neptune ATK (need a 10-15 gallon ato tank still)
Neptune DDR
Neptune DOS

150lbs of Marco dry rock
120lbs of TM Reef flakes substrate

That list looks familiar:)

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have the electronic side to build too. I'll keep updating that as well.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea with the downturned elbow for the return pump. I haven't seen that. I think I'm going to do the same. It should function as a bit of a vacuum to keep detritus from settling in that chamber. Plus, it should prevent sucking air.

OP
OP
boozeman27

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Good idea with the downturned elbow for the return pump. I haven't seen that. I think I'm going to do the same. It should function as a bit of a vacuum to keep detritus from settling in that chamber. Plus, it should prevent sucking air.

Thanks, I got the idea from someone else on here but don't remember who

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'scape looks good to me. It is always personal preference. I'm a fan of asymmetry (often to extremes), so I would probably lower one of those islands so they are not the same height. You could try it and see if it looks good to your eye, otherwise go with what interests you. I always think there is a balance between minimalism, which can be really visually dramatic, and many nooks and crannies, which can provide hours of interesting "looking."

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along!! Everything looks great!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Can't wait to see this progress [emoji3]

Back