Borneman anemone stretching

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to Anemones and have no idea what behavior is normal and/or what it means. I bought this guy from Tidal Gardens as a Pacific Green Flower Anemone. After research, I've discovered it to be a Borneman anemone. Cool creature either way.

He has been in this hole since I put him in the aquarium a couple weeks ago, but you cab usually only see his head. You can tell by the pic, that he is stretching his body a lot, but from the back side of the rock, he is still firmly holding on. His tentacles, which are similar to octopus, seem like they are almost trying to climb the rock.

Also, If you look close, you can also see what looks like skin that has shed off his body/stem, just underneath him to the left.

Is this normal behavior? Do they shed from their stem? Or is he just possibly working on moving to another location?

Ive read these guys can break off at the head and grow new body and vice versa with stem. Maybe he's trying to rip himself apart?

Not much information on these guys, maybe I need to look under a different name if yall know of any.

Water parameters are good. Rest of the corals are thriving.

I'm betting he's just getting ready to move, but the molting/shedding thing is weird.

Any info on these would be appreciated
20211101_112202.jpg
20211101_112914.jpg
20211101_112339.jpg
20211101_122745.jpg
20211101_123036.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really comment on the molting/shedding, other than to say that when they find their "happy spot" their usually anchor their foot and then figure out which way they're actually going to stick out. My BTA just finished pulling itself through a 1/8-1/4" crevice so he could stick out along the back of the tank. I've also got a rock flower that decided it would rather live in a long dark cave. Anemones, go figure...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back