Bottle Trap... I'm confused.

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey John. I appreciate your sending that photo of the bottle trap. I have stupid question.... how do you set it in the tank? I've been trying it but laying it down horizontally and partially buring a small portion so it will stay in place, etc. all I've caught is snails. I'm wondering if the Mantis can't simply crawl out?

Are you supposed to put it in the tank standing up? If so, can they even get in the bottle at all?

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its for a mantis, its sideways. Once they crawl in it will be more difficult to get out. Just hope your there to see him go in! so u can grab the bottle.
Put his favorite snack in there

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your suppose to lay it sideways like you are doing. Throw some food in the bottle. When the mantis crawls in to get the food it won't we able to crawl back out. Are you using the inverted bottle trick??

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to both of you for responding. Yes, it's for a mantis. So far his favorite food seems to be my barnacles. I've tried shrimp, mussle and squid so far and as I said, I've only caught the snails. I'm going to thaw out and try a tiny cuttlefish tonight.
Thanks again~

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have a better chance with lights off. If you throw in some squid and turn off your lights i bet he will go right in there!

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This method is easier said than done..my nassarius' always ending up devouring the bait before anything else has a chance..

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those nassarius snails are fast!! As soon as there is food in the tank every single one of mine come out of the sand and are on the hunt.

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just takes time, don't bother putting the bottle in until the lights are out and then you need to be ready with flashlight so that you can watch the bottle periodically be sure and use some red celophane over the end of the flashlight so that you don't spook your prey. You will still probably catch more snails than shrimp but eventually the shrimp will take the bait but you need to be ready when it does the inverted bottle makes it difficult to escape but not impossible all it does is slow the mantis down enough that you can remove the bottle before its able to escape. Change your lighting cycle so that the lights are out as soon as the sun goes down enough that its dark in your house that way you can watch the tank until you go to bed then I would set an alarm and get up and check it in the early hours of the morning before the sun comes up if you can.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks John. I tried again last night....more snails. I saw a thread on another forum about using a glass mason jar. Have you heard of that? Seems the poster and others have had good results with that method. According to them, you put a bit of sand in the bottom of a glass jar, add your bait and set it in the aquarium. not straight up but not laying down. You sort of lean it on some rocks. They claim the shrimp can climb up the rock and in the jar to get the food, but can not climb out of a glass jar.
Thoughts on that method?

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be worth a shot, I would think the shrimp would just swim out since the mouth of a mason jar is so large but it can't hurt.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know... i wondered about that! they madfe it sound like they couldn't *swim* out but had to climb and couldn't climb a sheer glass wall. Heck.... I don't even know if they can swim or not?

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then I'm still confused. If they can swim so well, how why would an inverted bottle trap work? why couldn't they just swim out of it as well? I mean... I can monitor the trap for a while, but not over night, etc. apparrently I have a mensa mantis. He knows when I'm sitting by the tank even in the dark and will not make himself known.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inverted bottle trick only slows him down. He can swim out of it if he eventually finds the hole he went in through. He's not going to just swim straight for the hole. It'll take a bit for him to swim to it and get out.

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it like a bird trying to fly out of a building, they will just try to swim away they won't swim towards the hole especially if spooked. They will try to swim up and hit the sides of the bottle first, but eventually they will find the hole and climb back out.

You just have to be patient, and like I said turn your lights off early and check the trap periodically until you go to bed and then check it early in the morning preferably before the sun comes up but that part is up to you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back