Bought a bounce...cried a little...

  • Thread starter Thread starter ahiggins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
3,397
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall!
Under the duress of a family friend...I bought a 1" bounce for about $200. The mother colony looks like:
soft-05-2.jpg


I have a few little bouncy parts on mine-like 4.

My question is...how does it eat? My other shrooms will bring up their edges and turn into a ball for a while. But these guys dont seem to be physically able to do that.

Next, fragging. When I go to frag in a year or so...do I cut or do I need to find mouths...its all so confusing lol

Thanks for your help!
 
My bounces feed just like any other large mushroom. I syringe food onto them and they ball up and eat. Some of the smaller one's will have bubbles coming out the top of the ball, but they still close up to eat it. I haven't fragged any yet, I'm hoping they will have babies and they are too expensive for me to trust cutting.
 
That's another concern..."normal" mushrooms put off babies but the guy I bought it from said that he cut it. How does he know he got a mouth?
 
If this is a disease like growth...how does it stay alive?
 
Ive had it about a week. I did notice a little expansion in bouncey size but nothing around the sides yet lol
Im not even a big fan of mushrooms...but they said you can trade frags to buy anything so its my money monster.
 
Its insane you'll pay that much for a mushroom. Any who, treat it like it is any other mushroom IMO. I don't think you need to feed it. It will split on its own when ready.
 
This is my only mushroom too, I have a 300 gallon dominated SPS but I have this in my wife's
29 bio with her Rose, torch and zoas.
 
Tom-I think it would do better in her tank with the extra nutrients. Usually SPS prefer little-correct?
Mine is in with everything but SPS.
PS. 300 gallons?!!?!? my biggest tank is a 25 LOL
 
Yeah it's in the 29, the 300 is very low nutrient and I know right and to top it off
decided on the new reboot to go high end stuff since I flooded the area with the bread and butter stuff
a few years back LOL
 
Nice!
How long do yours take to grow?
Do you frag or do they make babies on their own?
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new