Bought my first and last Aussie Gold Torch

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no problem with the single fat head I got a few years back, if anything it has flourished. Now 6 or 7 heads and it has even spawned in my tank where I have a few babies attached to rock near by and growing well.
Interesting, maybe it has to do with initial shipping stress or something of the sort. Definitely weird since it sounds like you’ve had good luck with Aussie torches in the past.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I’ve lost wild-collected torches but not aquacultured. I think maybe it’s the trauma of shipping internationally and trying to acclimate to very different aquarium parameters. Just my theory, but the three I have now are from other reefers or established lineages and my torches (including Aussie gold) grow quickly and are happy. One has gone from one head to like 6 in a year.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry about your loss! These are not cheap!

I have an Aussie gold torch since July 2020. When I got it, it looked really rough and took about a week and a half to truly open.

65EC7FEC-5C2D-41A7-9204-75D9D75AD0D4.jpeg

Got it to do well in low light and low flow and saw some tissue regrowth. Then, nearly killed it when I added some live sand and introduced uglies. Thought I was gonna lose it, but nursed it back once again in low flow low light plus bunch of iodine dips and occasional feedings.

It’s in my 5 month old tank that I started in august and is now loving it. My PAR is not super high, like 150-200ish but I started it out at like 50-75 when I first got it. Anyway, it’s tough luck with buying corals online. I’ve had seemingly good hammers just melt a week later for no reason.

A17BDE48-031E-4192-8D11-1DBC1AAA0827.jpeg
Thank you. Great job on nursing it back to health. I have mine in 80 par. I have a par meter. Tried feeding some reef roids. Dipped.. no pests came off it. I’ll try a 5 minute iodine dip. Can’t hurt at this point.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry for your lost.

I bought mine for my nano in september, always did well.

Recently made an upgrade to a larger setup and due to not having space for 2 tanks the cycling wasnt the best but she is still doing fine...

But I've had some trouble with 1 or 2 corals that are way more "durable" than torches. The first was a fungia that never ever opened and after a month started to melt. The other was a Ultra Tracyphyllia didn't last more than a week, melted too...

Sometimes It isn't about the type of coral but the piece itself, the systems they were before entering ours...

So don't loose hope in Golden Torches :)
Very true. I hope to hear more long term success stories with them.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had no problem with the single fat head I got a few years back, if anything it has flourished. Now 6 or 7 heads and it has even spawned in my tank where I have a few babies attached to rock near by and growing well.
Wow...Very impressive. Nice. My nuclear has spawned. I was able to save some of the new torches. But had to epoxy over the ones I couldn’t move away from SPS. I couldn’t believe how many I had.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For what it’s worth, I’ve lost wild-collected torches but not aquacultured. I think maybe it’s the trauma of shipping internationally and trying to acclimate to very different aquarium parameters. Just my theory, but the three I have now are from other reefers or established lineages and my torches (including Aussie gold) grow quickly and are happy. One has gone from one head to like 6 in a year.
Sounds like a solid theory to me. It’s nice to hear these success stories. Hopefully more become available aquacultured.

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not with a Aussie Gold Torch. I do a lot of selling and trading with locals.
Gotchya, Asking out of curiosity.I was under the impression there weren’t any around me and I found a guy 20min away via Facebook with designer torches (New York nicks and Aussie gold) 250$ for two heads. Haven’t pulled the trigger on those yet, after reading your thread I might not :oops: you definitely have more experience than I do

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’d pick up that New York Nicks. That’s a great deal for two heads. And they aren’t hard to keep. If you pick one up post up some pics and tag me. They are beautiful.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back