Boxfish thread!?

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Boxfish are my absolute favorite type of fish. I think they're very interesting, colorful, and full of personality. There is not a lot of information on r2r about them as far as feeding and specific requirements. Please share any care tips or feeding regimens here, I'm looking for advice.
1b15b2fa531798202e34a80cc1f9c252.jpg
here's mine!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this thread gets some more contributors I would like to see more boxfish/cowfish as well!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not worked with them much, though I've collected a few. I'll grant you, there are few fish cuter!

Years ago, at the end of summer, we collected one we used to call "boston bean boxfish" off the shores of Long Island, New York. Thought it was a seed pod of some sort, but it was tooling around the bucket in a way that seed pods just shouldn't. Imagine a black peppercorn, self-propelling through the water on invisible, transparent fins. They grow fast though, and by midwinter were an inch and a half, two inches long, with a triangular ridge along their back.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The boxfish/cowfish that have success IME are in tanks were they get to eat a lot and are not outcompeted for food.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been picking at the rocks since I got him, but my rocks don't have much on them to eat. He hasn't eaten frozen brine or mysis yet. I ordered some brine shrimp eggs that will be here Tuesday and I'll try to feed him that.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the cleaner shrimp in an acclimation box or breeder box to let the cowfish have a better chance.

S_OS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm new here

First of all, your Boxfish is adorable, the smallest I have seen of that particular species was no bigger than my pinkie nail. Second of all, you're going to have to get rid of that cleaner shrimp, cow/boxfish have sensitive skin and can get stressed by the cleaner shrimp. Third of all, Puffers and Boxfish are unofficially sworn enemies, they never do good together because they usually out compete for food and space. It also doesn't help that you have a valentini puffer, a fish notorious for fin nipping, the last thing you need is for that little c4 to crash your tank with their toxins. Honestly you best bet would be a specie only tank of this fish, I lost a cowfish (long horn) and these guys have so much personality that it really hurts when they die (in two or three days this guy will evolve from a fish into a dog so watch out). I was so sad to come home from class and see my guy stuck to my hob. I don't want the same thing to happen to you but my words of advice are just considerations, this is your own tank and you should do what you want. Anyways good luck on your boxfish and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long-horn cowfish in my tank, and it is hands down the cutest fish I have ever had. I have to make sure that it's not getting out-competed for food. It absolutly loves freeze-dried brine shrimp and nori.

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never owned one but I've read they have a fast metabolism just like filefish/triggerfish, feeding 3 or more times a day with Nori, Squid, and other meaty foods should help keep them nice and round, or in this case like a box :)

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Just introduced a yellow boxfish to my 245g. Problems i've got are rather straight forward: 1) everyone seems to hate the idea of having a boxfish as they're afraid of the toxin 2) got 2 stream 3 powerheads in the tanks (a lot of flow) 3) Outcompeted for food: i got 2 blue tangs, 1 desjardini and a blue throat

Now i'm not too afraid of 1 and 2, as the last one is being solved thanks to a large tank and protected (mesh) powerheads. BUT the third point is a so so at this stage - i feed my lads once a day and mainly with krill, mysis, brine and JBL pellets. Thinking that maybe rushed with the boxfish as i should change the feeding habits now to 2-3times per day?

The dealer i got the box from fed it frozen artemia, but there was nobody there to compete for food.
The boxfish is relatively large, i'd say 3 inch at this stage and i don't mind it growing to 18" at all.

suggestions/ideas?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Just introduced a yellow boxfish to my 245g. Problems i've got are rather straight forward: 1) everyone seems to hate the idea of having a boxfish as they're afraid of the toxin 2) got 2 stream 3 powerheads in the tanks (a lot of flow) 3) Outcompeted for food: i got 2 blue tangs, 1 desjardini and a blue throat

Now i'm not too afraid of 1 and 2, as the last one is being solved thanks to a large tank and protected (mesh) powerheads. BUT the third point is a so so at this stage - i feed my lads once a day and mainly with krill, mysis, brine and JBL pellets. Thinking that maybe rushed with the boxfish as i should change the feeding habits now to 2-3times per day?

The dealer i got the box from fed it frozen artemia, but there was nobody there to compete for food.
The boxfish is relatively large, i'd say 3 inch at this stage and i don't mind it growing to 18" at all.

suggestions/ideas?
Definitely feed more frequently, it is very difficult to tell if a boxfish isn't getting enough to eat.

The fish with him are not good tankmates, they will outcompete and intimidate him.

For what it's worth, the toxin aspect is overblown. I've only encountered a cowfish/boxfish releasing the toxin once, and that was moving it in a bucket after a big storm.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back