Branching Algae ID Help Please (Pic Included)

Rcj520

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new one I haven't run across before. Not sure if it's nuisance or a good macro. Grows pretty fast grows from a single point. Spreading through the tank though, so i'm actively trying to limit it.

IMG_3547.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Rcj520 what determines nuisance to you?

CYSTOSEIRA SP.

brownalgae.png

Species of the brown algae Cystoseira feature tall, stiff branches, typically light brown in color, with some air bladders present on the outer branches. This species is often confused with Sargassum, but lacks any flat blades, instead having tight toothlike appendages. This particular algae is rarely seen in the aquarium trade, but one variety Cystoseira Myrica, does make seasonal appearances, as it iss native only to Florida and the Bahamas. It is not as demanding in its nutrient needs as Sargassum is, due to its smaller size. It can make an interesting addition to a marine aquarium, but requires a brightly lit environment. Not palatable to most fish.
cystoseira2.jpg
cystoserira1.jpg

Last edited:

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Rcj520 what determines nuisance to you?

CYSTOSEIRA SP.

brownalgae.png

Species of the brown algae Cystoseira feature tall, stiff branches, typically light brown in color, with some air bladders present on the outer branches. This species is often confused with Sargassum, but lacks any flat blades, instead having tight toothlike appendages. This particular algae is rarely seen in the aquarium trade, but one variety Cystoseira Myrica, does make seasonal appearances, as it iss native only to Florida and the Bahamas. It is not as demanding in its nutrient needs as Sargassum is, due to its smaller size. It can make an interesting addition to a marine aquarium, but requires a brightly lit environment. Not palatable to most fish.
cystoseira2.jpg
cystoserira1.jpg
I don’t think this is Cystoseira, which appears to be more “structured” than @Rcj520’s algae for a lack of a better term. There are some Dictyota species that come close to resembling OP’s algae, but I am still stumped.
@ISpeakForTheSeas

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think this is Cystoseira, which appears to be more “structured” than @Rcj520’s algae for a lack of a better term. There are some Dictyota species that come close to resembling OP’s algae, but I am still stumped.
@ISpeakForTheSeas
I don't know for sure, but the most likely candidates seeming to me are (in order):
-Kappaphycus sp., possibly K. alvarezii
-Pseduochoospora sp., possibly P. implexa
-Euchema sp., possibly E. denticulatum
-Hydropuntia sp., possibly H. edulis

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new one I haven't run across before. Not sure if it's nuisance or a good macro. Grows pretty fast grows from a single point. Spreading through the tank though, so i'm actively trying to limit it.

IMG_3547.jpeg
Also, is this algae tubular or does it have flat, ruffled blades.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%

Back