• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Branching Metallic Briarium GSP • Price by clipping height | Location: South OC (92688)

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to trim my Mandarin Dragonet's tank. It's full of branching GSP because I love the look of the swaying branches, but I've been pumping aminos into the tank and I've noticed a lot of growth. So I need to trim.

Pricing:
  • $10: 1" - 2" Height frag, mounted onto a new plug

• $20: 2" - 3" Height frag, mounted onto a new plug

• $30+: Larger frags upon request
    Colony Rocks will be available shortly.
Payment services accepted: Cash, PayPal, Venmo, and Zelle.

——————
(UPDATE) My newbie-process for Shipping, I’ll need to know:

1. How many and what size cuts you want
  2. Your full name and address
  3. I would prefer to ship on a Monday or Tuesday, just based on what I’ve read from other member experiences
  4. I’ll provide you a quote before payment is requested via PayPal
  5. I’ll provide a photo of the items prior to shipment via USPS Priority
  6. If you want faster shipment we can do that via online agreement
—————-

Pictures from earlier in the year. The stalks aren't hitting the glass yet.

IMG_5284.jpeg
IMG_4819.jpeg

Here are videos of my largest colony (videos taken Oct 23, 2019):

Attachments

• IMG_5311.MP4
    4.9 MB
  • IMG_5315.MP4
    3.3 MB
  • IMG_5316.MP4
    3.3 MB
  • IMG_5318.MP4
    3.4 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also consider shipping as well, but we'll need to work out the cost. I've never shipped coral before. I know these guys are super hardy but it would be a learning process for me.

Happy reefing. :)

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also consider shipping as well, but we'll need to work out the cost. I've never shipped coral before. I know these guys are super hardy but it would be a learning process for me.

Happy reefing. :)
You can do 3 day shipping with GSP. I’ve done it plenty of times with no problem

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do 3 day shipping with GSP. I’ve done it plenty of times with no problem

Totally. Yes. With these guys, I’d ship with no rock, USPS priority mail, in a leak free medical specimen cup. This would be cheapest. And I’m pretty certain these guys would be fine.

Thank you for the guidance.
cheers :)

Sparky88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of horror stories about shipping but honestly I yet to have a bad exsperience on this site. Some importors get coral rapped in wet newspaper and the coral makes it. A well sealed box is all you need. I would watch out for northern climates tho as heat packs dont last that long and the temp is what kills frags. Glws

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday bump.

I’ve got three shipments going out tomorrow.

I still have plenty of this underrated branching variant of gsp. It’s great in low flow or high flow. Loves medium to high light.

cheers
Isaac

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First CA shipments and pickups went out today. East coast and central U.S. I will ship out on Monday due to acquiring heat packs and watching temperatures in the addresses I've got.

I'm getting comfortable with shipping --- maybe. Its an easy coral :)

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a sample of a $45 cut that has encrusted onto a square tile. It also shows the purple colored flesh as well as the complexity of the branching of this species.

IMG_5549.JPG
IMG_5551.JPG
IMG_5552.JPG

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good image, of the previous image from my previous post, showing the polyps closed but with the un-pestered colony behind it full extended. When the lights go out the entire colony is closed up.

IMG_5560.JPG

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got frags ready for Tuesday shipping if anyone is still interested in this cool species.

Happy Veterans day weekend.

IMG_5673.JPG
IMG_5674.JPG

Last edited:

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what you really need, a better lawn mower! Trimmers isn’t helping this epidemic!

This is awesome! Wish mine looked like this!
Mine grows slowly? Never seen that before.
GLWS Isaac!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what you really need, a better lawn mower! Trimmers isn’t helping this epidemic!

This is awesome! Wish mine looked like this!
Mine grows slowly? Never seen that before.
GLWS Isaac!

lol. I‘ve heard from several keepers of this type of Briareum sp. star polyp that they are slow growing. I “think” I’ve noticed this is true as well. My display system was running higher phosphates and caused me to move the colony mandarin tank because they were spreading very quickly. I wanted to have more control of my phosphates in my display, as my display is going into its fourth year i wanted to start adding some more wishlist corals —- so I’ve started doing a phosphate RX maintenance. And I need to remove all of these branching polyps. Another factor is that my display has an alkalinity of ~10 dKh, calcium at ~450 and Magnesium around 1400, finally, salinity is at 1.026. I was also using Kalk to maintain parameters which routinely kept my pH between 8.2-8.5. Any of these things could be a factor for the growth. I have been, over the last several months pulling my parameters back slightly, and got off of Kalk —- the weather shifts have caused me issues and concerns with spiking alk because of inconsistent evap rates. In any case, I think I’ve matured enough to start instinctively being more active at understanding my display tank’s chemistry.

On the other hand, my Mandarin tank never got tested. It’s only a 40 gallon Breeder from petco that I modded for a reef with a Rubbermaid sump just to house my mandarin. The Briareum colony exploded in the mandarin tank. Note: the Mandarin Dragonette, who’s close to being a 4 year old+ aggressive male, seems to love the environment — makes me consider that this form of gorgonian would be good for pipe fish, dragonettes and seahorses.

I recently, have started harvesting my rainbow BTA‘s clones, of which there are many. Before doing this I needed to move them somewhere and my mandarin’s tank is my only other viable tank. So I started conditioning the tank by actually testing the parameters. To my surprise the phosphates were crazy high.....200+ pbb high. And Alk was crazy low, and depleted quickly. I’m only guessing, but I think the high phosphates and Alk consumption has helped the colony explode. I do have one AI Hydra 52HD on a mostly blue 20K schedule with 2 hours of high full spectrum light each day. And I’ve started controlling the phosphates in the Mandarin tank with phosphate RX and pushing the Alk up. I’ve also added a Kamoer micro doser to dose Tropic Marin’s All-For-Reef to this 40 gallon tank. I’ve noticed a slowing of growth since pulling phosphates back.

In any case, this is only my experience so far about what might have contributed to the explosion in growth. I don’t want to get rid of the colony. I really love this coral. Also, I think it provides good mental stimulation and hunting grounds for my mandarin. Amphipods love to hide in the hollows.

My only recommendation is that you have pretty good flow....otherwise, detritus and stuff can build up in the crevices, nooks and crannies of the branches.

Thanks, and sorry for my long winded response. :)

Happy Reefing

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back